Small bits of beef simmered all day with potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, tomatoes and mixed vegetables makes a delicious Crock Pot Vegetable Beef Soup! Serve with crusty bread for a warm and satisfying family meal.
This post is sponsored by the Glass Barn, Indiana Soybean and Corn Farmers but all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Farmhouse Vegetable & Beef Soup
Mix your favorite vegetables with small bits of beef top round steak in the crock pot and come home to a wonderful Farmhouse Vegetable and Beef Soup.
I like using lean pieces of steak or roast and having smaller pieces of veggies in this homemade vegetable soup. Smaller pieces are so much easier to fit on a spoon and enjoy.
This soup is versatile because about any cut of lean beef can be cut up to put in the soup. Just be sure to trim off large pieces of fat to make the best meat flavor in each bite.
Just like our Copycat Pasta E Fagioli Soup and Loaded Broccoli Noodle Soup recipes this soup freezes and reheats well. Our family of four gets at least two meals out of each of batch which makes meal planning for the week so much easier!
Another soup option is our Hamburger and Vegetable Soup is similar to this recipe but has many more potatoes and cabbage. Using ground meat gives soup a different texture than whole muscle meat like steak or a roast.
How to Season Vegetable Soup with Beef
Salt and pepper are the most basic and popular ways to add flavor to soup. For a bit more flavor use garlic salt or celery salt.
Dried green herbs also work well to add flavor to soup. This recipe features a basic Italian seasoning to feature Italian flavors. More dried basil or dried oregano can be added based on personal preference.
How Do You Make Beef Tender?
A super lean cut of beef or a roast that has several different muscles coming together need to be cooked low and slow to become tender.
A long cooking time will help make beef tender in beef and vegetable soup. Do not decrease the cooking time or your beef may be a bit more chewy than you would desired.
This recipe calls for top round steak. When you look at the package and see very little white fat this is a lean cut of beef that should be cooked on low for a long time in soup to become tender.
How to Make Crock Pot Beef & Vegetable Soup
Cut one to one and a half pounds of steak into small bite sized pieces. When preparing meat and vegetables for soup the goal is to be able to fit a variety of foods on each spoonful.
I find using kitchen shears is easier than using a knife. I can work more quickly with my shears.
Lightly grease a crock or use a non-stick liner to make clean-up easier.
If using better than bouillon, boil water and dissolve paste before adding to the crock pot. Bouillon cubes can be added directly to the crock pot.
Mix together broth, meat and all vegetables except the frozen vegetables in the crock pot. Stir well. Cover and turn on high.
Cook on high for 6-8 hours. Add 1 1/2 to 2 cup of frozen mixed vegetables and stir well. Cover and continue to cook for an additional 2-3 hours until meat and vegetables are tender.
Serve with crusty bread or Cheesy Texas Toast and enjoy!
More Family Meal Ideas with Beef:
- Hamburger and Noodle Casserole is easy, cheesy and delicious!
- Cube Steak with Gravy is one of my parent’s favorite ways to make a super easy steak and gravy.
- Farmhouse Crock Pot Sloppy Joes are perfect for an easy family meal or can be doubled for a birthday party.
- Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joe Sliders are an easy way for our family to enjoy sandwiches.
- One Pot Beef Goulash fits into a weight watchers diet and uses lean-ground beef to make an easy meal.
Crock Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 pound beef top round steak cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions diced
- 3 celery ribs sliced
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper freshly ground
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- In a lined crock pot add all ingredients EXCEPT frozen mixed vegetables. Cover and cook on high for 6 – 8 hours.
- Add the mixed vegetables; cover and cook 2 hours longer or until meat and vegetables are tender.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.