This Old Fashioned Zucchini Casserole with Stuffing Mix recipe is so easy to make and a classic side dish!
Whether we’re using extra zucchini from the garden or making a nice holiday casserole this vegetable hot dish is very versatile.
Zucchini with Stuffing Casserole Recipe
Perfect for a summer potluck, family reunion or warm vegetable side dish at the holidays this casserole is versatile and easy to make!
Like a zucchini squash sandwiched between layers of chicken flavored dressing this recipe is unique, but still delicious.
We have eaten this alone for a light dinner in the summer heat, but it’s more popular as a side at a bigger meal.
Why This Recipe Works:
- Great way to use lots of zucchini from the garden or a friend
- So much flavor while being a bit unique, but still easy to make
- While it makes a big batch the leftovers reheat well within 1 – 2 days
- Parmesan cheese can be sprinkled on top of the vegetable mixture for even more flavor
- Adds variety to vegetables on the dinner table
- Zucchini – young, tender zucchini squash that are firm and fresh produce the best results.
- Onion – sweet, white, or yellow onion all work fine. I like to chop coarsely since they get boiled briefly with the zucchini.
- Carrots – cleaned and shredded or pre-cut into matchsticks work great.
- Cream of chicken soup – makes the recipe so creamy! Other cream of celery, cheddar cheese or cream of mushroom soups may be substituted to change the flavor profile.
- Sour cream – another creamy ingredient.
How to Make This Zucchini Casserole
Preheat oven to 350°F Slice up the zucchini and coarsely chop the onions. Grate carrots if necessary.
In a large mixing bowl stir together cream of chicken soup, sour cream and carrots.
Bring pot of water to a boil. Salt water before adding zucchini and onions. Boil for 3 to 4 minutes and drain well.
Pour drained vegetables into bowl with cream mixture and use a wooden spoon to mix.
In a small mixing bowl melt butter and stir in the packet of stuffing mix.
Spread half of stuffing mixture in bottom of a lightly greased 9 x 13″ casserole dish.
Then pour creamy vegetable mixture evenly over the top. Take care not to displace too much of the stuffing mixture.
Sprinkle remaining stuffing mixture evenly over the top. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until the stuffing is a nice golden brown and the casserole is baked through.
Recipe Tips & Tricks:
- Slicing fresh zucchini thinly allows for maximum creaminess and diversity of flavors in every bite
- Buying shredded carrots saves time and makes this an easy vegetable casserole recipe
- 6 cups of sliced zucchini is about 4 – 5 small zucchini
- We prefer small, tender, young zucchini that have much smaller seeds and thinner rinds
- Vegetables can easily be doubled to make a healthier casserole with a lower cream and stuffing ratio
More Delicious Casserole Recipes:
Sausage & Cheesy Potato Casserole is a classic combo that can be a great main dish or side dish.
Candied Sweet Potato Casserole can be made in the crock pot or oven to make a sweet treat!
Pineapple Casserole is another sweet and unique side dish to help mix up the meal time routine.
Loaded Cauliflower Casserole dresses up cauliflower with cheese and bacon to make a flavorful keto dish.
My friend Carlee has a variation of Parmesan Roasted Zucchini & Tomatoes that looks like a lighter variation of a zucchini casserole recipe.
Zucchini Casserole with Stuffing Mix Recipe
Zucchini Casserole with Stuffing Mix
- 6 cups zucchini sliced
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 6 ounce box Stove Top stuffing chicken flavor
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- Boil zucchini and onions in salted water for 3 – 5 minutes. Drain well.
- In a medium mixing bowl mix shredded carrots, sour cream, and cream of chicken soup. Add softened zucchini and onions and mix well.
- Mix stuffing and butter. Put half in a 9 x 13-inch dish.
- Place vegetable mixture over stuffing mix, then place rest of stuffing mix on top of vegetables. Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.