Creamy chicken and vegetables topped with crunchy potatoes makes this easy recipe that’s become known on TikTok as Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie.
Chicken Pot Pie Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
Cheesy tater tots become golden brown on top of a flavorful filling of chicken, corn, peas, carrots and in gravy. An easy skillet meal combines simple ingredients to make a Chicken Pot Pie Tater Tot Casserole.
Similar to our Chicken Cobbler Casserole this hotdish adds bacon and cheese to the filling for a spin on one of our most popular meals.
Like a cross between a Shepard’s Pie and a Tater Tot Casserole with Chicken this skillet meal has all of the elements of a nice family dinner.
As the weather gets chilly, we love meals with meat, veggies and potatoes that warm you up.
Why This Casserole Recipe Works
- A one pot meal that saves times and cuts down on dishes, this is a popular recipe.
- Trending on Tiktok this easy Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie recipe has All-American flavors and is ready with 20 minutes of hands on time.
- Faster to make on the stove top and finish off in the oven, than to make the entire casserole in the oven.
- One of those warm, hearty meals that has recognizable flavors and is enjoyable to eat.
We’re also fans of this Beef and Cabbage Skillet meal, but like the diversity of a chicken meal that has a lighter taste.
Ingredients Needed To Make This TikTok Recipe
- Chicken breasts – Cut into small, even sized cubes that are a little smaller than bite sized pieces.
- Tater tots – We typically use plain, but using seasoned tater tots can prevent the need to season the meat as much. Most of a 32 ounce bag creates a single layer of taters on top of our 11″ skillet.
- Seasoned salt – or your favorite combination of seasonings.
- Granulated onion – or mined onion, a small onion can also be diced and cooked in the skillet.
- Minced Garlic – A jar of garlic works well or 1 to 2 cloves of fresh garlic.
- Packet of Turkey Gravy Mix – Stir into warm water; a jar of chicken or turkey gravy can be substituted.
- Frozen Veggies – After testing our favorite is using half frozen sweet corn, 1/4 carrots and 1/4 peas. We have used bags of mixed green beans, peas, carrots and corn and that tastes fine too.
- Bacon Bits – A small bag is a nice addition and two bags add even more flavor.
- Cheddar Cheese – We like sharp cheddar, but really any type of yellow cheese works fine.
How To Make Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie
Sauté garlic in melted butter for 2-3 minutes over medium high heat.
Then add cubes of chicken and season generously. Stir the chicken to coat all sides as evenly as possible.
Spread out meat in an even layer and cover. Stir a couple times.
While chicken is cooking make steamer bags of veggies in the microwave and dissolve packet of gravy in warm water.
When chicken is cooked through and no more pink is visible add can of cream of onion soup.
Then add dissolved gravy mixture and cooked vegetables. Stir well!
Sprinkle half of the cheddar cheese and all of the bacon bits on top and stir it up.
Preheat oven to 350℉.
Arrange tater tots in circles starting along the outside of the skillet and work towards the center.
Fill in the very center and set the skillet in the oven for 20 minutes. Bake uncovered to allow the potatoes to brown.
If I see that there’s just a few minutes left on the timer I go ahead and increase the heat to 400℉.
Use hot pads to carefully remove from the oven.
Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and return to the hotter 400F oven for 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the tots are nicely golden brown.
Serve warm and enjoy!
Can This Be Made With Pre-Cooked Chicken or Turkey?
Yes, begin by sautéing the garlic in butter and then add the cooked chicken to a generously seasoned warm gravy mixture.
Continue with the remaining steps in the recipe.
Leftover Thanksgiving turkey also works well in this tater tot pot pie recipe.
While Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie has been around for years, we love how Tiktok can revive an older recipe in new ways!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Can change the consistency to be more like a casserole with less liquid and more like a soup with more water.
- Cut each chicken breasts in half and keep cutting those halves in half until you have small bite sized pieces.
- Can easily add more bacon bits, or even pieces of chopped bacon.
- Pre-shredded is easier, but shredding your own will create a more smooth, evenly melted cheese on top.
More Trending Family Meals From Social Media
Our Cajun Sausage Pasta is an all-time favorite as the Kielbasa add so much flavor to this skillet meal.
Finish off a delicious meal with this beautiful Nutty Buddy Pie.
Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cloves minced garlic
- 2 pounds chicken breasts cut into small cubes
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 10.5 ounce can cream of onion soup
- 1 ounce turkey gravy mix
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 – 12 ounce bags frozen peas, carrots, corn
- 3 ounces bacon bits
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 28 ounces Tater tots
- Microwave bags of vegetables and set aside.
- Add gravy mix to warm water and stir until dissolved; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Add butter to a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Stir in garlic.
- Add small pieces of chicken to the hot skillet and season generously.
- Stir and cover until cooked through.
- Pour in can of cream of onion soup and gravy mix into the skillet. Stir well.
- Add softened vegetables, bacon bits and half of the cheddar and and stir well.
- Starting along the outside arrange tater tots in a ring. Continue to make an even layer of rings until the skillet is covered with tater tots.
- Place oven safe skillet, uncovered in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Turn temperature up to 400℉. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake for an additional 5 – 10 minutes until the tater tots are golden brown on top.
- Safely remove from the oven and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.