A classic hot dish loaded with cheddar this Cheesy Ground Beef Hashbrown Casserole recipe is delicious.
Creamy Ground Beef and Hash Brown Recipe
This Hamburger Hashbrown recipe might be the most All-American casserole we’ve ever made. Mix potatoes, beef and cheese with a few other ingredients for a warm meal that people crave.
Take our popular Cheesy Potatoes side dish to a main dish casserole with beefy flavors in every bite. Adding protein makes this dish more filling and satisfying.
This Creamy Ground Beef and Hash Brown Casserole Recipe has a bag of frozen hashbrowns mixed with sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, cheddar cheese and hamburger.
We also love how similar and delicious this Loaded Potato Casserole is when ground beef is added.
Why This Hamburger Hash Brown Recipe Works
- The family always cleans their plates and compliments the meal when this hamburger and hash brown combination is served.
- Leftovers reheat and freeze really well.
- Familiar ingredients make a delicious comfort food that is popular at potlucks.
- People gravitate towards meat and potatoes, so this Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole is enjoyable.
- Shredded Hash Browns – A bag of country style shredded potatoes works well. Size of bags vary and we try to use a 30 ounce bag.
- Ground Beef – Use one to two pounds of lean beef to vary how meaty this meal is.
- Sour Cream – Helps blend all of the ingredients together and makes the meal richer.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup – Adds a nice mushroom undertone. Cream of onion, celery or chicken also work fine.
- Cheddar Cheese – Mix most in the casserole, but sprinkle some on top for more flavor and extra eye appeal.
- Garlic Powder, Salt & Pepper – Add a nice seasoning to the meat and in turn the casserole.
This is a similar combination of ingredients that we use in our Smoked Sausage and Cheesy Potato Casserole.
How To Make Ground Beef Hashbrown Casserole
Cook the ground beef. Crumble while browning.
Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper while cooking.
Drain if necessary and set aside on a large plate lined with paper towels to help absorb any remaining fat.
I try to set out bag of hashbrowns for 30 – 35 minutes and massage the bag with my fingers to separate any clumps. Then pour into a large mixing bowl.
Measure 2 cups of cheese out into the bowl. Add sour cream and use a mini silicone spatula to clean out the can of cream of mushroom soup.
Use a wooden spoon and mix everything together well.
Pour in the cooked ground beef and stir it all up.
Pour into a lightly greased 9 x 13″ glass baking dish.
Use your fingers to flatten out and press down in the pan.
Bake uncovered in a preheated 350℉ oven for 35 minutes.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
This will help prevent the top layer of cheese from burning.
Bake an additional 10 minutes until the casserole is heated through and all cheese is melted.
Serve this Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole with Cream of Mushroom Soup warm and enjoy!
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Pre-shredded cheese will not melt as evenly as freshly shredded cheese on top of the casserole.
- A chopped onion can be browned with the meat if desired.
- Draining the beef well and patting with paper towels will help cut down on grease in the baked casserole.
- Using frozen hash browns works fine in this casserole as long as you can get the chunks seperated and stirred into the other ingredients.
Can This Casserole Be Frozen For Meal Prep?
The casserole can be assembled and frozen before or after baking. We prefer to mix up all of the ingredients wrap with a layer of plastic wrap and then a layer of heavy duty foil.
Freeze tightly wrapped for up to three months. For best results allow the casserole to defrost in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours and then set out on the counter for 30 – 45 minutes to come to room temperature.
More Easy Family Meal Ideas
Chicken Parmesan Casserole – Another classic recipe with common ingredients that tastes great!
Hamburger Cabbage Casserole – Mixes in cabbage to create another meaty and delicious casserole.
Sauerkraut Casserole – Use Kielbasa, tomato sauce, and rice to fill you up on a cold day.
Stir Fry & Beef Broccoli – Creates a wonder meat and vegetable combination!
Cheesy Ground Beef Hashbrown Casserole
- 26 ounces frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 3 cups cheddar cheese divided
- Brown ground beef, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Drain if necessary and rest on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Separate hash browns with fingers while in the bag and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add 2 cups of cheese, sour cream and can of soup. Mix well.
- Add ground beef and mix well. Pour int a greased 9 x 13" baking pan.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese across the top and bake an additional 10 minutes until the casserole is heated through an cheese is melted.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.