A few simple ingredients quickly layer to create an easy Baked Chicken Parmesan Casserole that the whole family will love!
Easy Chicken Parmesan Casserole Recipe
A perfect meal for busy nights this cheesy chicken is perfect eaten as is, but can easily be paired with pasta for a more filling meal.
Our meat and cheese combo with marinara sauce is similar to a restaurant classic of Chicken Parmesan but is so much faster to make in this casserole recipe.
Just like the leftover of Italian Baked Chicken I like to serve with salad for lunches throughout the week.
Whether you eat a whole cheesy chicken breast or slice it up to make smaller portions this meal is enjoyable. Just like our Spaghetti Pizza Casserole and Loaded Chicken Bacon Ranch Mac kids enjoy the familiar favorites as much as adults.
Why This Recipe is Popular
- The cheese and chicken mixture is perfect for adults and kids loving adding a side of pasta with the meat.
- A restaurant quality meal that is easy to make at home to save money.
- This casserole can be put in the oven faster than you can drive to an Italian restaurant to pick up some Chicken Parmesan.
- The leftovers reheat well.
- Chicken Breasts – We always use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You can season with salt and pepper for additional flavor, but we enjoy this recipe without the extra salt.
- Olive Oil – Helps prevent sticking to the pan and helps distribute the garlic more evenly.
- Minced Garlic – A couple cloves of garlic work great, but I typically use a jar of garlic to save time.
- Red Pepper Flakes – Add a little heat to the recipe and are optional. I typically omit this spice for our family that has a more mild palate.
- Marinara Sauce – Using a jar saves time, but if I can remember to defrost some frozen pasta sauce I like to use it.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese – Adds some cheesy magic.
- Mozzarella Cheese – Yes there’s a lot of cheese, but it really makes this dish so amazing.
- Italian Seasoned Croutons – Roughly crush croutons to quickly imitate the more traditional breading in chicken parmesan.
How to Make Garlic Parmesan Chicken Casserole
Spread a thin, even layer of olive oil in the bottom of a 9 x 13″ casserole dish.
Add at least 2 teaspoons or cloves of minced garlic and spread out as evenly as possible.
If you like some heat and spice add the red pepper flakes, but know this ingredient is optional.
Then add boneless, skinless chicken breasts with any visible fat trimmed to the dish.
Space evenly. I like to pack the dish full with the intention of having leftovers. If you prefer a smaller batch allow an even amount of space between each piece of chicken.
Pour a jar of sauce over the top. Use a spatula to spread out.
Then sprinkle half of the Parmesan cheese over the sauce. It will be difficult to move or spread, so sprinkle evenly.
Next add half of the shredded mozzarella cheese.
Pour croutons into a plastic bag and using a rolling pin to roughly crush croutons.
Sprinkle those croutons on top of the mozzarella.
Repeat the layers of Parmesan and mozzarella cheese and place in a 350℉ preheated oven.
Bake for 45 to 60 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Take a peak around 30 minutes to check how brown the cheese is. If it’s fairly brown then cover with foil making a bit of a tent to prevent the foil from sticking to the cheese in the center.
Recipe Tips & Tricks:
- Baking time will be determined by how big and how tightly packed the chicken breasts are in the dish.
- I like to make a big batch with about 5 pounds of chicken.
- If adjusting the size of the recipe be sure to use twice as much mozzarella cheese as parmesan cheese.
- Using a larger lasagna size pan can make preparing the recipe a bit easier if you have one.
- If the cheese is beginning to get too brown while baking cover with foil, but create a little bit of a tent shape in the center so that the melting cheese doesn’t stick to the foil.
More Easy Casserole Recipes the Family Will Enjoy
Ground Beef Tortellini is a skillet casserole that mixes pasta, meat and cheese for another wonderful meal.
Hamburger Cabbage Casserole has rice, cabbage and ground beef coated in tomato sauce.
Baked Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- 5 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- 2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Italian seasoned croutons roughly crushed
- Place olive oil in the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish; spread as evenly as possible.
- Sprinkled minced garlic and crushed pepper flakes over oil.
- Arrange chicken breasts evenly in the dish and cover with marinara sauce.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of parmesan over the sauce.
- Then add 2 cups of mozzarella evenly over all. Spread crushed crumbs on and repeat last layer of cheeses.
- Bake at 350℉ for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165℉.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.