Are you looking for an easy homemade cake recipe? This Ooey Gooey Butter Cake is made from a box mix and great for dinner parties, potlucks, carry-ins, and big family meals.
The best part about this delicious homemade Gooey Butter cake is it’s made with common ingredients that you likely have on hand like a boxed cake mix, butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and eggs.
This cake has been so popular on Pinterest we made a Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake and it’s just as amazing with slightly different flavors!
I grew up on a dairy farm, so I like to support dairy farmers by buying dairy products whenever I can. I love that when I buy store brand butter, cream cheese and anything else, I know that there’s a farm family behind that food. And the farm family is likely right here in the US!
Easy Homemade Ooey Gooey Cake Recipe Idea
Ooey Gooey Butter Cake is super moist and delicious. I love that a basic cake mix is used and more dairy products are added to give the cake more creaminess and richness. This cake is sure to turn out great if you use real dairy products. Be sure not to use margarine in a caked named “Butter Cake”!
Another similar recipe with a box of cake mix and cream cheese is our Cheesecake Cookie Bars. These bars have an extra layer with some crumble on top. Both of these recipes are super easy and only a few minutes to mix up but have a unique flavor.
Our Marble Chocolate Cream Cheese Bars start with a chocolate cake mix and swirl in cream cheese and chocolate chips. So easy and so delicious!
This is a great easy homemade cake for those potlucks where you want to take a dessert that is a special treat and a little bit unique from basic brownies and cupcakes. A great chocolate companion is Chocolate Cream Cheese Crescent Bars.
The extra dairy products take a bit longer to set-up during the baking process. I use a toothpick to determine doneness. See that hole in the center of the cake? That’s where I inserted the toothpick and when it came out clean I knew the cake was done baking.
Know that when a toothpick is used it will leave a fairly obvious hole. The good news is that when the cake is cut into it won’t last for long!
This cake was set out for a bit at a party and it was still ooey, gooey, moist and delicious!
My mother-in-law gave me this recipe to try. She got it from one of her sisters-in-law.
I like easy family recipes like this! We have several easy homemade cake recipes including Cinnamon Applesauce Cake, Pumpkin Pie Cake and Pina Colada Cake. Having so many delicious cake options means we can mix up our desserts which is always a win!
How to Make Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
- Preheat oven to 350º F and coat a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together cake mix, melted butter, and 1 beaten egg. Press mixtures evenly into sides and bottom of the pan.
- To make filling beat cream cheese until creamy. Add eggs one at a time. Add sugar and vanilla.
- Pour over crust.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Other Easy Cakes in a 9 x 13 pan
I hope you enjoy this easy cake as much as we do!
Printable Gooey Butter Cake Recipe
Ooey Gooey Butter Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 egg beaten
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 pound powdered sugar 3 1/2 cups
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together cake mix, melted butter, and 1 beaten egg. Press mixtures evenly into bottom of the pan.
- To make filling beat cream cheese until creamy. Add eggs one at a time. Add sugar and vanilla. Pour over crust. Bake 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees F.