Heath Bar Cake is a rich and creamy butterscotch topped chocolate cake. A box mix plus four extra ingredients make this as good as a bakery cake, but super EASY to make.
Heath Bar Poke Cake
An easy dessert with gooey sauces added make a truly unforgettable poke cake. This chocolate and toffee bar cake recipe is one of our most popular on Pinterest! We just made a sister cake out of Snickers Bars that’s also amazing!
We have several great cake recipes from a box mix. My absolute favorite is The Best Rich and Moist Chocolate Cake from a box mix. Another delight is this variation of the tried and true chocolate cake with a strawberry cake mix and white chocolate chips is Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake. Our favorite creation from a white cake mix is Glazed Rum Bundt Cake.
Growing up I was regularly involved in cooking and baking contests. We collected as many community cookbooks as we could get our hands on and my mom’s hobby is pouring over the recipes. This recipe came from one of those fabulous 90s cookbooks!
I love how special this cake tastes, but there is really not much effort involved. These are the type of recipes that I love and make regularly! The first time I made this cake was to take along to the Easter celebration with my in-laws. There were only two pieces left in the pan. I almost wonder if my husband put the lid on the pan or hid it so that he could have a couple of pieces to enjoy at home?
Heath Bar Cake Ingredients
- Box of Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Butterscotch Ice Cream Topping
- Frozen Whipped Topping
- Heath Candy Bars
How Do I Make a Cake More Moist?
This Heath Bar Cake from a box mix is so moist because of the added can of sweetened condensed milk and an added jar of butterscotch ice cream topping. Poke holes in the baked cake and then pour the extra toppings over the top of the cake and allow them to soak in. Allowing at least an hour to soak in makes the cake so moist and delicious!
While the cake tastes super moist I recommend eating within the first 24 hours so the cake doesn’t get too soggy.
Another tip to keeping cake moister is covering the cake with foil immediately after removing it from the oven. This will prevent moisture from escaping as the cake cools.
How Do I Make Store-Bought Cake Mix Better?
Adding extra ingredients to help enhance the flavors that you desire will make a basic cake mix taste so much better. This Heath Bar Cake is really rich and moist with a sweet crunch from the Heath Bars on top. The whipped topping is a perfect way to add additional texture and creaminess and perfectly compliments the richness that the sweetened condensed milk and butterscotch topping add.
We’re already planning what variations of this cake we’ll make next. My husband thinks that Butterfinger Candy Bars would be great. I think about any candy bar with a little bit of crunch would be fun to try.
It would be easy to try a variety of candy bars on a single cake by making strips with different flavors. What type of candy bar do you think would taste great sprinkled on top of this recipe?
Heath Bar Cake Recipe
- Bake chocolate cake per directions on the box. Poke holes over the entire top of cake with the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Pour condensed milk evenly over top of cake. Allow milk to soak into the holes. Repeat with the butterscotch topping. Allow cake additional time to soak up all of the goodness in the toppings.
- Spread whipped topping over the cake making it like frosting.
- Crush Heath bars and sprinkle over top of cake. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Serve immediately for best results.
More Cake Recipes to Love
Printable Recipe for Heath Bar Chocolate Cake from a Box Mix
Heath Bar Cake
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 16 ounces Whipped Topping thawed
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 jar butterscotch ice cream topping
- 3 – 4 Heath bars crushed
- Bake cake per directions on the box. Poke holes over entire top of cake with the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Pour condensed milk over top of cake and let it soak into the holes. Repeat with the butterscotch topping. Pour evenly and allow to soak into wooden spoon handle holes.
- Spread whipped topping over the cake making it like frosting. Sprinkle crushed Heath bars over top of cake. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Serve immediately for best results.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.