Super moist with an instant pudding mix and coconut added to a box of yellow cake mix this Easy Coconut Cake recipe is delicious!
Coconut Cake From a Box Mix
If you are looking for a hassle free way to make the coconut lovers in your life feel special try this Easy Coconut Cake!
Make this moist coconut cake even better by topping it with our homemade Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting. The combination creates a bakery quality masterpiece quickly at home.
This southern style recipe is decadent and moist, but so easy to whip up in 15 minutes or less.
We love recipes like this one and our Crescent Roll Apple Pie that are so enjoyable. We need more desserts with shortcuts so they are quick enough to make with a busy schedule.
We love visiting Amish country in our area and this recipe is reminiscent of a moist bundt cake that Walnut Creek Foods sells. A few other Amish style baked goods we love to make are Peanut Butter Dream Bars and these Old-Fashioned Cinnamon Rolls.
Why This Recipe Works
- Coconut pudding cake makes a great birthday cake for a coconut lover.
- Coconut cake from a yellow cake mix creates a shortcut that you won’t notice.
- Even if you’re not a coconut fan this recipe is still enjoyable.
- Make homemade coconut frosting or use a can to increase your options.
Ingredients Needed to Make Coconut Walnut Cake
- Box of Yellow Cake Mix – We prefer to use the Duncan Hines brand.
- Eggs – Add a nice richness.
- Vegetable Oil – Helps all of the ingredients mix together.
- Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix – Help creates the added moisture and a higher quality.
- Coconut – Add a memorable depth of nutty flavor that sets this apart from your average cake.
- Walnuts – While they are optional the chopped black walnuts add a crunch and more earthy flavor.
Step By Step Instructions
Pour a box of cake mix into a mixing bowl. We always use an electric mixer to make this recipe easier.
Add a small box of instant vanilla pudding.
Measure out vegetable oil and water and pour into the mixing bowl.
Crack eggs and add to the bowl.
Starting on low speed and working up to medium speed.
Scrape the edges of the bowl with a silicone spatula and mix for about two minutes.
Pour into a lightly greased 9 x 13″ baking ban or use three 8″ round cake pans.
Bake in a preheated 350℉ for 35 – 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool and then coat with a thick layer of Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting.
Finally dress up the final look of the cake by sprinkling with a layer of toasted coconut on top.
Cover with plastic wrap and store in a cool place. Enjoy within 3 to 4 days for best results.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
Can substitute pecans for walnuts to make a wonderful Coconut Pecan Cake.
More Easy Box Cake Recipes
Chocolate Mint Cakes adds Andes mints for spearmint flavor that is fresh and a little spicy.
Snickers Cake uses a box of devil’s food cake mix and caramel topping for a special twist.
Sweet Potato Honey Bun Cake can easily crossover from brunch to dessert and is especially popular at Thanksgiving.
Easy Coconut Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3.4 ounce instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and coat a 9 x 13" pan OR 3 – 8" round pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Blend box of cake mix and small box of instant vanilla pudding.
- Add eggs, water and vegetable oil. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut and chopped walnuts and mix by hand.
- Pour into pan and bake for 35 – 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.