Rich chocolate cake with cool mint accents and topped with more Andes Creme De Menthe candy makes an amazing Chocolate Mint Cake!
Start with a box of cake mix, add a few ingredients and end up with a bakery quality cake.
Creme De Menthe Cake Recipe
Also know as Creme De Menthe Cake, our Chocolate Mint Cake was inspired by our super popular Chocolate Box Cake recipe.
The original cake is often requested at birthday parties and special events. We wanted to make a variation that would be perfect for mint lovers and a great St. Patrick’s Day treat.
The chocolate and mint combination is unforgettable! Starting with a box mix and adding instant pudding, sour cream, eggs, vegetable oil, water, and Andes brand Crème De Menthe Chocolate baking chips makes this recipe so easy.
When you can make a bakery quality cake in under 15 minutes, this is a recipe that fits into our busy schedule.
I love how Olive Garden gives you Andes mints with the check. Well, this Crème De Menthe Chocolate Mint Cake would be the perfect dessert to top off a great meal. Here is an Instant Pot version of my favorite Olive Garden meal called the Instant Pot Chicken and Bacon Carbonara.
- Box of Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- Small box of instant chocolate pudding
- Sour Cream
- Vegetable Oil
- Andes Creme De Menthe candy or baking chips
Step By Step Instructions
Add a box of chocolate cake mix and a small box of instant chocolate pudding.
Add sour cream, warm water and vegetable oil.
Then add eggs. Whole eggs or lightly beaten work fine.
Turn the electric mixer on and mix well.
Then use a silicone spatula to fold in the baking chips or pieces of Andes mint candy chopped up.
Reserve about 1/4 cup to sprinkle on top of the frosting.
Pour into a greased 9 x 13″ baking dish or two round cake pans.
Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 30 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool before frosting and decorating with the remaining pieces of Andes candy.
Tips for Making Easy Crème De Menthe Cake
- Mix ingredients very well before adding chocolate chips
- Be careful not to add liquids to pudding mix only as it can begin to set up like pudding
- The pudding makes this cake so moist, but it also means the cake takes longer than normal to bake
- Baking times vary, so I use a toothpick to test the cake a couple times to prevent burning
- Cake can be made in two 9 inch pans or in a 9 x 13-inch pan
- I always use store bought frosting to save time, but feel free to make homemade frosting
More Tasty Dessert Recipes:
Pineapple Fluff is an old-fashioned citrus flavored dessert that is cool and refreshing.
Banana Pudding for a Crowd has notes on how to make a big batch of this popular recipe.
Grape Salad coats the sweet fruit in a cream cheese and sour cream mixture that’s delicious.
Nutty Buddy Pie mixes chocolate and peanut butter into a very eye appealing no-bake dessert.
Chocolate Mint Cake
- 1 box Devil’s food cake mix
- 1 small box instant chocolate pudding
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups Creme de menthe chips vary amount to strengthen mint flavoring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients except baking chips well. Then gently fold in chips.
- I always use a 9 x 13 pan, by 2 – 9 inch round pans can also be used. Bake for 30 – 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle additional creme de menthe chips on top of cake if desired, but know that the mint flavor can get very strong quickly 🙂
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally shared on February 17, 2019 with pictures updated on June 19, 2023.