A classic coffee cake filled with fresh blueberries and a sweet streusel on top makes the best Farmhouse Blueberry Coffee Cake recipe.
Blueberry Coffee Cake Recipe
Also known as a Blueberry Buckle this simple homemade coffee cake makes a great addition to breakfast or brunch. The tender morsels in each bite compliment blueberries to make a wonderful recipe. This make ahead treat is perfect for the holidays like Easter, Mother’s Day or Christmas morning.
The streusel topping is very similar to the one on our Easy Blueberry Muffins but different from the oatmeal topping on our Blueberry Crisp. A crumbly streusel adds a little crunch and makes this coffee cake irresistible.
Similar to our Buttermilk Coffee Cake this version has fresh and sweet blueberry flavors mixed in. Perfectly ripe fresh fruit adds a wonderful flair to this traditional cake texture. For a more unique texture try our Blueberry Mystery Cake or Blueberry Crunch Cake.
A 7 x 11″ pan allows for a nice thick piece. If a 9 x 13″ pan is used the pieces will be a bit thinner and the cake will bake more quickly. We have a few old-fashioned options of the smaller size baking pan, but I wouldn’t recommend buying a new one if you don’t have a 7×11 pan.
- Blueberries, I prefer fresh
- Shortening or butter
- Baking powder
Tips & Tricks
- This cake is best in a 7″ x 11″ pan but can be made in a 9 x 9 or 9 x 13 pan if needed, just be sure to adjust the baking time
- Add the juice and zest from one lemon to create a lemon and blueberry flavored cake
- Milk can be substituted for butter milk for an even richer flavor
- Ensure blueberries are well-drained before mixing in the batter
- Frozen blueberries can be used if desired
- To prevent blueberries from sinking to the bottom coat lightly in a tablespoon of flour
- Shortening can be substituted for butter OR butter flavored shortening
How To Convert to A Lemon Blueberry Combination
To create a lemon blueberry coffee cake recipe add the juice and zest from one medium lemon into the batter before adding the streusel on top.
Bake as directed below and enjoy.
How to Make Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake
Preheat oven to 375°F and prepare a 7 x 11″ pan with a layer of non-stick cooking spray.
Mix thoroughly sugar, shortening and egg.
Then stir in milk. Scrape bowl and mix well.
Sift together remaining cake ingredients of flour, baking powder and salt.
Gradually stir dry ingredients into liquid mixture. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl a couple times.
Pour batter into baking dish and make the streusel.
Sift flour and gently stir together cinnamon and sugar for the streusel. Slice chilled butter over the top and use a fork or pastry cutter to blend butter into the flour mixture.
Sprinkle streusel over the top of the cake and bake for about 40 minutes until cake tests done in the center.
Tastes great served warm or at room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 5 days.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes:
Canned Cinnamon Rolls with Heavy Cream are super easy to make and taste amazing!
Banana Nut Mini Muffins make a great snack or breakfast bite for kids or adults on the go.
Cowboy Breakfast Skillet combines all of the classic breakfast ingredients to make a delicious one skillet meal. We often substitute potatoes for riced cauliflower to make a keto breakfast.
Old-Fashioned Cinnamon Rolls have been a favorite at our family parties for years. Grandma’s recipe is a classic that makes special occasions even sweeter.
Easy Oatmeal Waffles are one of my go-to breakfast or brunch recipes that taste great with maple syrup or Nutella and fresh fruit.
Farmhouse Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups flour sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries well-drained
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup flour sifted
- 1/4 cup butter chilled
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 7 x 11 inch pan.
- Mix thoroughly sugar, shortening and egg.
- Stir in milk.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Then gradually stir into the rest of the mixture.
- Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Pour mixture into baking dish.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon and 1/3 cup of sifted flour together.
- Cut chilled butter into slices over top of the dry mixture. Use a pastry cutter or fork to blend together until pieces of butter are no bigger than peans.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture over top of batter and bake for 40 – 45 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.