Sherry Cake mixes sherry wine with a box mix to make a warm and easy bundt cake with wonderful flavors at the holidays.
Sherry Wine Cake
A sherry cooking wine creates such a warm and delicious flavor when combined with a golden butter cake mix and instant vanilla pudding. The pudding mix makes each bite so moist.
Finish the Sherry wine bundt cake with a light coating of powdered sugar to make a simple dessert that packs a lot of flavor.
If you enjoy a wine flavor you’ll love this easy wine cake recipe. Those who prefer a liquor flavor may find our Rum Glazed Bundt Cake to be more their style.
A couple more cakes that are very popular around Christmas and the holidays are Blackberry Jam Cake, Cranberry Duff Cake and Cranberry Christmas Cake.
What Type of Sherry for a Christmas Cake?
Sherry cooking wine works well in this recipe. It comes in a bottle that is of similar size and shape to a vinegar or olive oil bottle and can often be found with the vinegar in the baking aisle at the grocery store.
Dry sherry wine also works well in this Christmas cake recipe.
Can You Taste the Wine?
Yes, the wine flavor creates a warm note and distinct flavor in the cake. However the alcohol cooks out while baking so this cake is fine to feed a family.
- Yellow cake mix
- Instant vanilla pudding
- Vegetable oil
- Sherry wine
- Powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts are optional, but we prefer a nut-free cake
Sherry Cake Glaze
We love to lightly dust this sherry cake with powdered sugar in a sifter before serving.
For a sweeter glaze use 1/2 cup of butter, 1 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of sherry wine and 1/4 cup of water. Mix together in a saucepan and boil for 3 to 4 minutes stirring often. Leave cake in pan and spoon glaze over cake very slowly, as soon as it comes out of the oven. Let cake cool and absorb the glaze for 30 minutes before flipping the pan over to remove the cake.
Step by Step Instructions
- Using an electric mixer combine yellow cake mix, vanilla pudding, eggs, oil, sherry wine and nutmeg at the same time and beat for 5 to 8 minutes.
2. Grease and flour a bundt or tube pan.
3. Bake for 40 – 45 minutes at 350°F.
4. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before covering with a plate and turning out. Dust with powdered sugar before slicing and serving.
More Easy Cake Recipes:
- Lemon Blueberry Crunch Cake also uses a box mix and is topped with blueberries, pineapple and pecans to make a delicious dump cake.
- Easy Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars are the type of dessert dreams are made of! Layers of chocolate chip cookie dough is filled with a sweet cream cheese mixture.
- Best Cakes From a Box Mix is a collection of our favorite cake recipes!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3.4 ounces instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup Sherry cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine all cake ingredients and beat for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Pour into greased and floured bundt or tube pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes before turning out. Dust with powdered sugar before slicing and serving.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Made this because my mom used to when I was a kid and I had a wild hair to recreate it! Tastes just like I remember. Fascinating how creamed the batter gets!
Have made this egg nog bread for years and will continue doing so. Have friends requesting it yearly. I make it it small loaf pans to gift to our neighbors and of course for our household. I use sherry wine not cooking wine.
Been making this forever. Easiest and yummiest cake. My favorite breakfast snack. I top it with an orange juice and powdered sugar icing but not necessary.