Sweet blueberries are topped with an oatmeal streusel mixture and baked to make a super easy Farmhouse Blueberry Crisp recipe. Serve warm crisp with vanilla ice cream for a dessert to remember!
Easy Blueberry Crisp Recipe
This is one of the easiest desserts we make with fresh blueberries. A few simple ingredients enhance the natural blueberry flavors and earthy oatmeal topping adds texture and flavor to make this dish perfect.
Simple ingredients that we always have on hand make the best desserts! The first time I made this easy fruit crisp was for a friend’s birthday. Add a scoop of homemade or a rich vanilla ice cream for a summer treat that is amazing!
Fresh blueberries work best for a plump base layer texture for the oatmeal streusel topping. I love the bright colors of the purplish baked blueberry mixture.
Any summer fruit can easily be substituted to make another delicious variation of this easy recipe.
- Fresh blueberries
- A fresh lemon
- Brown sugar
- Old-fashioned oats or rolled oats
Can Frozen Blueberries Be Used to Make Blueberry Crisp?
Plump, fresh blueberries create better results in this blueberry crisp recipe than using frozen fruit.
Tips To Make the Recipe Easier:
- 3 pints of blueberries equals 6 cups
- The juice of one fresh lemon is about 2 to 3 tablespoons and provides an acidic citrus flavor that nicely compliments the tart blueberry flavor
- Wash and drain blueberries allowing them to completely dry before using in this recipe
- Rolled oats or old-fashioned oats work better in this recipe than quick oats
- Butter needs to be cold or it will just smear and create a different texture
- A food processor makes mixing the streusel easier, but the butter can be cut in by hand with a fork or pastry cutter
- I mix butter and oatmeal mixture in two batches in a mini food processor
How to Make Blueberry Crisp
Rinse and drain blueberries very well. Allow to air dry for a couple hours if possible. Gently pour blueberries in a medium sized mixing bowl.
Sprinkle sugar and 3 tablespoons of flour over the top.
Squeeze lemon juice in a separate dish and then sprinkle over the top. Squeezing the lemon directly over the blueberries may result in some seeds popping out in the blueberries.
Gently mix this together and pour in a lightly greased baking dish that is about 9×13 in size.
Then mix remaining flour, brown sugar, rolled oats, cinnamon and salt.
Slice or cut up pieces of cold butter.
Use a fork or pastry cutter to mix or use a food processor and pulse for 2 to 3 second intervals until the mixture is clumpy.
Spread the crumbs evenly over the blueberries and bake for 20 – 30 minutes until bubbly and golden.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
Can You Freeze Blueberry Crisp
Blueberry Crisp does not freeze very well, as quality is best when warm and just out of the oven. The oatmeal streusel will get soggy over time.
If freezing is important freeze in small servings tightly wrapped in self sealing freezer bags or containers.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
The Best Chocolate Cake From a Box Mix will change your birthday parties and maybe your life. This cake is so easy to make it will become a go-to for all the special occasions and chocolate cravings!
Lime Jello Salad with Cottage Cheese mixes lime gelatin, crushed pineapple, cottage cheese and Cool Whip to make an easy and refreshing treat.
Oreo Dirt Cake is one of our favorite desserts to make during the holidays and potlucks.
Farmhouse Blueberry Crisp
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 – 3 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons cold butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine blueberry base ingredients – blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and flour. Gently stir.
- Pour in the bottom of a lightly greased 9 x 13" baking dish.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, rolled oats, cinnamon and salt. Add chopped up butter and put in a food processor. Pulse the food processor in 2-3 second intervals until the mixture is clumpy.
- Spread oatmeal mixture evenly over the blueberries. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until bubbly and lightly golden.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.