Lime gelatin, crushed pineapple, cottage cheese and Cool Whip are mixed together to make Lime Jello Salad with Cottage Cheese.
Tart and zesty with a sweet twist this easy vintage green Jello salad recipe is refreshing and delicious.
Vintage Lime Jello Salad Recipe
This old-fashioned Lime Jello Salad with Cottage Cheese Recipe is just like the Jello salads my grandma made regularly.
Since boiling hot water is mixed with Jello once chilled this is a Congealed Jello Salad that holds together and can be cut into pieces. For a similar recipe that doesn’t set up in the same way try our Cottage Cheese with Pineapple Salad.
The Jello or generic brand of gelatin really brings the lime flavor. The cottage cheese adds a creaminess and protein that helps fill you up without overpowering the dish. The crushed pineapple adds a sweet citrus flavor. Cool whip or whipped topping adds a lighter, cool flair that helps blend everything together.
A friend who enjoys shopping at antique stores picked up a couple vintage community cookbooks to share with me. Since our 7-UP Jello Salad and Orange Jello Salad are so popular on Pinterest I knew we had to try this lime gelatin salad as soon as I saw the recipe.
Lime Jello salad was traditionally served with lettuce and mayonnaise. We just like the idea of garnishing with whipped cream and maybe a couple maraschino cherries.
Is the Cottage Cheese Flavor Strong?
Cottage cheese bring a unique flavor that is light and accents the jello salad. The cottage cheese flavor is noticeable but not dominant. Pops of citrus lime and sweetness of the pineapple are more prominent flavors.
Tips & Tricks
- The water doesn’t need to be boiling, but it needs to be hot enough to quickly dissolve the gelatin and sugar
- I typically heat the water in the microwave in a coffee cup
- Sugar is optional – I have left the sugar out before and the pineapple provides a nice natural sweetener
- Creamy cottage cheese works best if available
- Wait to mix in whipped topping until the mixture is cool. Adding whipped topping to a hot or warm mixture will melt it.
- Dream whip can be substituted for whipped topping if desired, use half of the packet
- Recipe can be doubled and served in a 9 x 13″ dish
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, pecans or nut pieces can be folded in with the Cool Whip if desired
- Lime Jello
- Hot water
- Crushed pineapple in juice
- Cool Whip
- Creamy cottage cheese
Dissolve gelatin in hot water. Stir in sugar and dissolve.
Stir well until all of the powder and sugar is dissolved. Then stir in undrained pineapple and refrigerate until congealed.
The mixture will begin to congeal when it transitions from warm to chilled.
Once the lime gelatin is cool and beginning to stiffen use an electric mixture to beat and make the mixture smooth. Add cottage cheese and use the mixer to help make a bit smoother.
Gently fold in defrosted whipped topping and spread in a dish. We use a square dish, but this is a great recipe to use a decorative or odd shaped dish.
Cover and refrigerate at least an hour before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator and use within 3 to 5 days.
Does a Jello Mold Need to Be Used?
A Jello mold is not necessary. Lime Jello salad can easily be poured into a square pan. This recipe should be doubled to fill a traditional Jello mold.
More Vintage Recipes:
Pecan Pie Surprise Bars are aa sweet and chewy dessert recipe that is easier to make than pecan pie and a staple on the Thanksgiving table.
Watergate Salad uses instant pudding and mini marshmallows to make a simple side dish or dessert.
Milk Way Cake is the ultimate dessert for people who LOVE Milky Way candy bars and cake!
Lime Jello Salad with Cottage Cheese
- 3 ounce package lime gelatin
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar optional
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple = 1 small can, undrained
- 1 cup whipped topping defrosted
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- Dissolve gelatin in sugar and hot water.
- Stir in pineapple and chill until mixture begins to stiffen, but is not firm.
- Whip lime mixture using an electric mixer. Add cottage cheese and beat all together.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Pour in a flat pan, we use a square 8 x 8 or 9 x 9' pan. Chill.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.