Super easy to mix up and bake this 4 Ingredient Cake Mix Cookie Bars recipe is great adorned with your favorite candy!
When you need a quick dessert to share with friends or take to a potluck these Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies with M&Ms are colorful and delicious!
Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
Also known as candy bar cookies, we love how using a new type of candy in these easy cake mix cookies makes a new recipe every time. This recipe is so fun because it’s easy to try a few variations until you find your favorite.
My kids love using confetti or confetti or funfetti cake mix and M&Ms. I’m a fan of chocolate or vanilla cake mix with chocolate chips. My friend Julie enjoys these double chocolate cookies!
Our whole family is in agreement that we prefer bar cookies over drop cookies when making them with a box of cake mix! The batter is thick so it’s is easier to spread in a 9×13 pan than drop into balls on a cookie sheet.
3 basic ingredients make cake mix cookies. Adding a candy or mix-in of your choice makes 4 ingredient cookie bars from a cake mix. The combinations of boxes of cake mix to candy are endless.
A Variation for Every Holiday
- Cake box mix – any flavor
- Stick of butter
- Candy of choice
Our Favorite Combinations of Candy Bar Cookies with Cake Mix
- Yellow cake mix pairs well with butterfinger bits
- Chocolate cake mix works well with peanut butter chips or chocolate chips
- Confetti cake mix with M & Ms or confetti chips
- Carrot cake with butterscotch chips
- Devil’s Food or any chocolate mix with crushed candy canes
Cookies vs. Bar Cookies
Everyone in our family prefers the cookie bars because we like the super soft and tender center pieces.
We have tested the exact same recipe in drop cookie form and in bar cookie form. It’s funny that the drop cookies taste more like cookies and the bar cookies taste more like a cake. Further proof that we eat with our eyes!
Individual cookies bake in about 8-10 minutes, but take longer to form on the baking sheet.
We also prefer how the bar cookies look more uniform than the individual cookies.
How to Make Funfetti Cookies with Cake Mix
Add cake mix, very soft or partially melted butter and eggs to a mixing bowl.
Mix until batter is thick.
Pour candy on top and then stir by hand until candy is mixed into the batter.
Using an electric mixer could cause the candy to crack.
Spread into a 9 x 13″ baking pan with a light layer of non-stick cooking spray.
Bake for 15 to 18 minutes in a convection oven until lightly browned on top.
When Should I Add the M&Ms?
M&Ms can be stirred into the dough by hand before spreading in a cookie pan. The M&Ms may not be as visible as you would like, so some people add M&Ms to the top.
M&Ms on top will likely crack and melt more from heat if baked more than 5 minutes. So the candy placed or sprinkled on top should be done in the last 5 minutes of baking.
Storage & Freezing Instructions
4 Ingredient cake mix cookies freeze well after cooling when stored in an air tight container or self sealing bag. Use within 1 to 2 months for best results.
Store in an airtight container or covered in plastic wrap on the counter for up to 5 days. Cookies will be the most fresh the first 3 days.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- We prefer mixing the candy into the batter instead of sprinkling on top as it bakes better and won’t crack or burn
- Adding more sprinkles can be more fun
- We love customizing this recipe with colorful candy to match the holidays
- Mix in between 1/2 cup to 2 cups of candy based on personal preference
- Butter can be substituted for vegetable oil
More Easy Cookie Recipes:
Eagle Brand Magic Cookie Bars are another super simple bar cookie with even more flavors.
Cottage Cheese Cookies are so soft and tender, quick to mix together and make a small batch to enjoy.
Homemade M&M Cookies have a more traditional cookie flavor with a few more ingredients.
Cheesecake Cookie Bars also start with a cake mix to make an easy sweet treat.
Printable 4 Ingredient Cake Mix Cookie Bars Recipe
4 Ingredient Cake Mix Cookie Bars
- 15 ounce box Funfetti cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup M&Ms
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly spray a 9×13" pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix together cake mix, softened butter and eggs.
- Add candy and stir in by hand.
- Spread into pan and bake for 15 – 20 minutes based on your level of preferred doneness.
- Can mix in between 1/2 cup to 2 cups of candy depending how sweet you would like the cookies.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.