Our classic cheesy potato casserole recipe has been modified to add bacon to create one of the best comfort food recipes, our Cheesy Bacon Potato Casserole.
Cheesy Potato Casserole with Bacon
Potatoes make a good side dish, but they’re even better when cheese and bacon are added! We enjoy this potato casserole along with a nice piece of meat or sandwich for a family meal.
Making a pound of bacon, chopping it up and mixing it in the cheesy potatoes as well as sprinkling bacon on top really enhances this recipe to create the best bacon and potato casserole.
This recipe is one that our family created. It began with these classic Farmhouse Cheesy Potatoes that are served at countless family meals throughout the year. Then we adapted the recipe to create a one dish meal, Smoked Sausage and Cheesy Potato Casserole.
Adding smoked sausage has been super popular on Pinterest so we knew adding bacon was the next variation to try! Our family is a meat and potatoes family and this recipe is another one that we love.
Variations of Bacon and Potato Casserole
We tested this basic bacon and potato casserole with 1/2 cup chopped onions that were sauteed in the bacon grease and 1/3 cup chopped green peppers, which certainly adds crunch and more southwest flavors.
Our palates unanimously preferred a more basic and mellow potato, bacon and cheese casserole.
Cornflakes or 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs can be sprinkled on top in place of Ritz or butter crackers. Again, we love the rich butter flavors from the crackers. For a potato casserole that tastes great with cornflakes try our Red Potato Ranch Casserole.
We also have a bacon and egg casserole which is our Bacon Breakfast Casserole. This dish is super hearty with bread cubes and someday we’re going to test using hashbrowns in place of the bread cubes.
Tips & Tricks to Make This Casserole:
- We prefer frying or baking bacon as opposed to using pre-cooked bacon bits for this recipe.
- If adding onions saute chopped onions in a couple tablespoons of bacon grease before stirring into the casserole.
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup of chopped bell peppers and or mushrooms can be added to casserole if desired.
- I have a large mixing bowl that doesn’t quite hold all of the ingredients for this recipe. So the recipe may need mixed in two batches or an extra-large mixing bowl.
- Allowing frozen hashbrowns to sit on the counter for 30 minutes to knock off the chill can make mixing easier.
- Take care to finely crush crackers to optimize flavors in every bite!
What’s Needed to Make Cheesy Potato Casserole with Bacon
- Frozen shredded hash browns
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Ritz crackers or a store brand of butter crackers
How to Make Cheesy Bacon Potato Casserole
Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare a 9×13 inch baking dish with a light coat on non-stick spray.
Using a big or extra large mixing bowl mix hash browns, cream of mushroom soup and sour cream together.
Sprinkle pepper over the top, add 2 cups of shredded cheese and 3/4 pound of chopped bacon. Mix well.
Spread into baking dish and top with remaining shredded cheese.
Place butter crackers in a plastic bag and finely crush. Mix together with melted butter and sprinkle over top of potato casserole.
Take the rest of that beautiful bacon that you’ve been tempted to snack on the entire time and sprinkle it over top of the casserole.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Check around 30 minutes and if the bacon starts to brown cover with foil and continue baking until the cheese is all melted and bubbling around the edges.
A digital meat thermometer can be used to check that the center of the casserole has been reached 145°F if desired.
Serve warm and enjoy!
Other Easy & Delicious Casserole Recipes:
- Everything Bagel & Sausage Casserole is great for a weekend brunch for a quick family dinner any day of the week!
- Crock Pot Cauliflower Casserole is like this recipe, it makes a great side dish, but sometimes it’s an entire meal all by itself.
- Sausage & Cream Cheese Stuffed Peppers are so good and low carb! Great way to satisfy a family with a super delicious meal!
- Creamy Pork Chop Casserole is a great old-fashioned recipe that is full of flavor and super easy to make.
Printable Cheesy Bacon & Potato Casserole
Cheesy Bacon Potato Casserole
- 30 ounces shredded hash browns
- 10.5 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1 pound bacon cooked and crumbled or chopped, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 3/4 cup Ritz crackers crushed (about 3/4 of a sleeve)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish. Add hash browns to an extra-large mixing bowl.
- Add cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Sprinkle pepper over the top and stir well.
- Add 2 cups of cheese and 3/4 pound of chopped bacon and stir well.
- Spread in baking dish and sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Crush crackers and stir melted butter into the crackers. Sprinkle over top of the casserole and then top with remaining bacon.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the casserole is warmed through.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.