Crispy French Fries topped with Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese with bacon bits and green onions are a perfect easy appetizer or side dish for a party or regular family meal.
We love making these loaded fries in the air fryer or regular oven. In under 25 minutes, this delicious recipe is ready to enjoy!
Loaded French Fries
When we set the air fryer basket full of French fries topped with two kinds of melted cheese, bacon bits and thinly sliced green onions on the table four hands immediately reach right in. All of us LOVE these bacon cheese fries!
We’ve recently gotten into using our Cuisinart Air Fryer & Toaster Oven and love all of the easy recipes. Our family loves Triscuit Pizzas, roasted mushrooms, Candied Bacon and French Fries and we’ve recently had a lot of time at home to perfect making each of them in the air fryer.
We love to serve fresh loaded fries with a dollop of sour cream. The same reason that sour cream tastes great on a Loaded Baked Potato – more flavor – it tastes great on French fries loaded with bacon and cheese.
These loaded fries are a more basic loaded fry. For an over the top recipe check out these Pulled Pork Loaded Waffle Fries!
Bacon Cheese Fries
Our last dine-in restaurant meal was to celebrate my father-in-law’s birthday. The special meal featured appetizers of loaded fries and Stuffed Mushrooms. Ever since this meal we’ve been staying at home with just our family out an abundance of caution due to the virus challenges we are facing.
Let me tell you what, we are CRAVING restaurant food more each day. So we’ve been practicing making our own bacon cheese loaded fries. We’re also digging some of our copycat restaurant recipes out of the vault-like Instant Pot Chicken Bacon Carbonara and Pasta E Fagioli Soup.
Makes your fries an appetizer or a more impressive side dish. We know how bacon and cheese can really amp up potatoes because we’ve done it so many times in our Twice Baked Potato Casserole and Crock Pot Loaded Red Potatoes.
Fresh potatoes could be cut into fries and baked or prepared in the air fryer, but we typically use frozen fries because they’re just easier and quicker!
Sometimes we like some easy recipes to snack on for small plate meals or easy appetizers for entertaining friends. These loaded fries make a great arrangement of options along with Buffalo Bacon Cauliflower, Taco Crescents and BBQ Pulled Pork Crescents.
Tips For Making Cheesy Fries
- Stirring or shaking the fries a couple of times while in the fryer or oven helps them bake more evenly
- Almost any shredded cheese will work just fine – I prefer using at least two cheeses for maximum flavor
- Pre-cooked bacon bits save time, but bacon can be prepared and crumbled as well
- Fries can be sprinkled with cheese and bacon and eaten or returned to the oven for a minute or two for the cheese to melt
- Chopped white onion or sweet onion can be cooked on top of the fries for the last 7 minutes or added raw once fries have been prepared if green onion isn’t available
How to Make Bacon & Cheese Loaded Fries
We like the extra crispiness of making French Fries in our Cuisinart Air Fryer & Toaster Oven, but the fries can be prepared in the oven according to the directions on the package.
Set air fryer toaster oven to air fry and 400 degrees F. Bake for 12 – 14 minutes. Stir or shake a couple of times while baking, but keep the fries in a single layer.
Once fries have reached desired level of doneness pile the fries up in the center of the basket or pan. I like to take blocks of cheese and shred cheese evenly over the top of the tries. Monterey Jack and cheddar are my favorite combination, but the restaurant that inspired this recipe uses mozzarella and cheddar. Lots of combinations will be delicious!
Sprinkle bacon bits over the cheesy goodness. Return to oven for 1-2 minutes at 350 degrees F until cheese is melted. Then add green onions and serve warm with sour cream.
What To Have for Dinner With Loaded Fries
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Cowboy Baked Beans
- Turkey Sliders
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders
- Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
Printable Bacon & Cheese Loaded French Fries Recipe
Bacon & Cheese Loaded French Fries
- 14 ounces Shoestring French Fries frozen
- 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese freshly shredded
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Set air fryer toaster oven to air fry and 400°F. Place a single layer of French fries in air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 12 – 14 minutes until fries reach desired crispiness. Shake the basket 2 or 3 times during frying.
- Pile fries in center of basket and cover with freshly shredded cheese and bacon bits. Return to air fryer for 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle green onions on top and serve with sour cream for dipping.
Almost any shredded cheese will work just fine – I prefer using at least two cheeses for maximum flavor
Pre-cooked bacon bits save time, but bacon can be prepared and crumbled as well
Fries can be sprinkled with cheese and bacon and eaten or returned to the oven for a minute or two for the cheese to melt
Chopped white onion or sweet onion can be cooked on top of the fries for the last 7 minutes or added raw once fries have been prepared if green onion isn’t available
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.