When we crave Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Soup this copycat recipe is perfect to make at home.
This hearty and delicious soup makes a big batch perfect for meal prep or freezer meals and is packed with several delicious vegetables, meats, beans, and pasta flavors that we all enjoy!
Pasta E Fagioli From Olive Garden
With a tomato base and aromatic herbs and spices sprinkled among Italian sausage, hamburger, carrots, celery, onions, chunky tomatoes, white beans, kidney beans, and pasta this hearty soup makes one of the BEST family meals!
One of our favorite restaurants is Olive Garden! I almost always get the Chicken Carbonara so I made a copycat version in the Instant Pot at home.
Another of our family favorites is the Pasta E Fagioli from Olive Garden! When a friend shared her family’s recipe to make this at home I couldn’t wait to give it a try.
We love that the soup makes a big batch so we can have easy lunches for a few days. The combination of ingredients creates filling and flavor notes that taste special, but can be made at home without too much hassle.
The best soups are a labor of love that can take some time to make like our Loaded Broccoli Noodle Soup, Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup and Farmhouse Ham & Potato Soup. We also got this Hearty Beef Stew that’s a family favorite!
Italian Sausage Soup with Pasta
I really enjoy Italian sausage because ground meat is so tender and various cuts are mixed together really well with spices to create depth of flavor that is cravable.
As a family of farmers we prefer hearty meals. The sausage and pasta combination creates a very filling meal that features so many food groups we don’t need side dishes.
Ditalini is my go-to pasta for this soup. Small pieces of spaghetti or orzo could also work as could breaking up larger pieces of any size of pasta.
We prefer to go light on broth and water for a meal, but liquid can easily be added to create a bigger volume of soup and a dish more appropriate for an appetizer.
Just like Olive Garden we enjoy serving Pasta E Fagioli with romaine lettuce salad and breadsticks or crusty bread.
Even the picky eater that could live off of this Spaghetti Pizza Casserole or plain meat and pasta eats this meal and happily reheats leftovers, so that’s a big win for our family!
We have several recipes developed with Italian Sausage like our Cheesy Stuffed Shells, Crock Pot Stuffed Mushrooms, the Best Pizza Meatloaf, and Sausage and Cream Cheese Dip. Italian sausage can be substituted in many recipes that calls for hamburger to add a new flavor dimension.
Tips for Making Pasta E Fagioli
- Soup starter with onions, carrots, celery and spices may be available in the frozen vegetable section of your grocery store and saves a LOT of time
- Make this recipe easier by prepping vegetables ahead of time or for multiple meals, same for cooking beans
- Plan ahead to have white beans that have been soaked and cooked according to package directions
- Be sure not to overcook pasta, especially if planning leftovers and freezer meals
- If freezing soup place in smaller freezer containers on the counter and allow to cool before placing in the freezer. Avoid placing a large container of hot soup in the freezer.
- Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months
- Store in the refrigerator for 3 – 5 days
How to Make Olive Garden from Pasta E Fagioli
- In a large pot brown sausage and beef. drain excess fat if necessary.
- Add onions, garlic, celery, carrots, beans, tomatoes, tomato paste and beef broth.
- Sprinkle herbs on soup and mix well.
- As soup is simmering be sure to sample and add more herbs to suit your taste before serving.
- Add several cups of water or chicken broth to achieve desired thickness of finished soup. We use about 2 – 3 cups of chicken broth (if we have leftovers and then 2 – 3 more cups of water throughout the cooking process.
- Simmer 2 hours. Add more water as needed.
- Add pasta noodles, salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer until noodles are tender, about 10 minutes.
Other Hearty Family Meals:
- Smoked Sausage & Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- Turkey, Cheddar and Bacon Sliders
- Applesauce Meatballs
- Best Taco Meatloaf
- Crock Pot Swiss Chicken & Stuffing Casserole
- Instant Pot Mozzarella Chicken
Printable Copycat Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Soup Recipe
Copycat Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli Soup
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 pound ground sirloin hamburger
- 1 large can kidney beans
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 cup canned chunky tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 12 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup carrot sticks chopped
- 1 can beef broth
- 3 cups cooked white northern beans
- 1 cup small dried pasta we like Diavolo pasta
- In a large pot brown sausage and beef. If using lean meat draining may not be necessary, if there is a lot of liquid, drain excess fat.
- Add onions, garlic, celery, carrots, beans, tomatoes, paste and beef broth.
- Add herbs, but prepare to taste and add more if needed before serving
- Add several cups of water according to desired thickness of finished soup.
- Simmer 2 hours. Add more water as needed.
- Add noodles, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until noodles are tender, about 10 minutes.