Mushrooms, onions and bell peppers are quickly sauteed along with chicken and then an easy brown sauce made with onion soup mix is added to make Saucy Chicken and Vegetables.
This easy chicken recipe makes a great family meal served over Rice Pilaf.
Sauteed Chicken & Vegetables
This stovetop meal combines several flavors that we love. Chicken and mushrooms are enhanced by a basic brown sauce with rich onion flavors.
If we make a meal it’s got to be quick and easy. We like to prep meals for the week on Sunday when possible, so we cut up the chicken and veggies to make this meal even faster to put on the table when we’re ready to make it. The chicken can be cut a similar size for this meal and our Sweet & Sour Kabobs.
We are always looking for more ways to add more veggies to our diet so the bell peppers and onions work well. Our family loves the combination of meat and mushrooms, from our Stew Meat & Mushrooms, Country Style Ribs & Mushrooms to Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy.
When we’re feeling extra ambitious we’ll chop up some more peppers and mushrooms to use in Mushroom Swiss Burger Sliders, Air Fryer Italian Sausage, Peppers & Onions. or Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes later in the week.
We’ve tested this meal in the Instant Pot and found that making it in a skillet works much better. In a skillet, you can see how quickly the meal is cooking, determine how much liquid there is in the sauce and adjust the time and heat accordingly. The Instant Pot limits your ability to quickly look at the chicken, stir, and add ingredients.
Tips for Sauteeing Chicken and Veggies
- Have all ingredients chopped, measured and next to the skillet before turning the heat on
- Once you start sauteeing be ready to move quickly to complete the meal
- The exact shape of the pieces of chicken doesn’t really matter, but be sure the pieces are of similar size so that they cook evenly
- Trim any fat or grizzle off of chicken before sauteeing
- If skillet starts to get dry add more butter or oil to prevent smoking and burning
- Stir and turn chicken often or almost continuously while sauteing or stir-frying as this is a quick-cooking method over medium-high heat
How to Make Saucy Chicken and Vegetables
- Combine chicken broth, onion soup mix and Worchestershire sauce, stir well.
- In a wok or large skillet, over medium-high heat melt butter to brown chicken. Stay close by and stir chicken often to brown quickly on all sides.
- Use a clean plate and set browned chicken aside.
- In the same skillet with the drippings add onion, pepper and mushrooms. Saute vegetables until crisp-tender. Return chicken to skillet.
- Pour onion soup mixture over chicken. Stir everything togeth and cover skillet. Turn down heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the chicken and sauce are simmering combine cornstarch and water.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken and vegetables to a plate. Set aside. Add cornstarch mixture to skillet and bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute or until sauce is thick in same skillet.
- Pour sauce over chicken and enjoy! Tastes great served over rice if desired.
Other Easy Family Meal Ideas:
- BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders
- Farmhouse Stromboli
- Sausage & Cream Cheese Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Hamburger Noodle Casserole
- Best Taco Meatloaf
Printable Saucy Chicken and Vegetables Recipe
Saucy Chicken and Vegetables
- 6 chicken breast tenderloins cut into 2 inch x 1/2 inch strips or cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms chopped
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Combine chicken broth, onion soup mix and Worchestershire sauce. Set aside.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium-high heat and brown chicken on all sides.
- Set chicken aside and add onion, pepper and mushrooms to the drippings. Saute until crisp-tender. Return chicken to skillet.
- Pour onion soup mixture over chicken and cover skillet. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water and set aside.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove chicken and vegetables to a plate. Set aside.
- Add cornstarch mixture to skillet and bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute or until sauce is thick in same skillet. Pour sauce over chicken and enjoy!