This rich tomato-based Hearty Beef Stew is a favorite on our farmhouse table. Packed with potatoes and vegetables this is a classic and delicious one-dish meal!
If you like this recipe you may also enjoy our Saucy Chicken and Vegetables.
Farmhouse Beef Stew
Hearty bites of beef, vegetables and potatoes become tender when simmered in tomato soup for hours. Serve with crusty bread or over a bed of noodles for one of the best meals to warm you up during cold weather!
We are a meat and potatoes family so we really crave a good hearty stew like this recipe, Homemade Vegetable Soup with Ground Beef, Farmhouse Chili or Pasta E Fagioli after working outside in the wind and snow or rain. This stew is so filling, but in a good way because it’s packed with fresh vegetables.
We’re not a family that typically has red wine on hand so we typically use water, but the red wine and water are interchangeable and can be used based on your preference.
Our stew meat is typically used in this Crock Pot Stew Meat & Mushrooms or in this beef stew recipe. I still need to share how we love making whole chuck roasts into Slow Cooker Pot Roast. A good beef dish can be hard to beat for our family meals.
My mom has so many classic beef recipes like this Hamburger & Noodle Casserole and Easy Mexican Casserole. This tomato beef stew has been a regular on the menu for years! She often makes a double or triple batch because the leftovers can be stored for 2 – 4 days in the refrigerator and reheat so well in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Extra stew can also be cooled off and frozen in an airtight container or in a double layer of zip lock bags for 3 – 5 months.
Best Beef Cut For Stew
Stew meat is typically made of a chuck or round roast which is cut into cubes. The size of cubes can vary based on where the meat is cut or how it is cut at home.
We have a whole beef processed into meat that we store in our freezer. We typically order a few packs of stew beef. If needed a roast can be defrosted and cut into cubes with kitchen shears or a knife.
Stew meat needs to be cooked on low and slow to become tender. This means to cook on low heat for a long time, which is at least a few hours.
When cooking meat in a low and slow method if the meat is not tender it needs to keep cooking low and slow until it becomes tender.
How to Make Simple Beef Stew
Whether using precut stew meat or cutting up a chuck roast ensure pieces of beef are similarly sized and about bite-sized.
Wash and chop up vegetables and tomatoes.
Stir tomato soup, red wine or water, and flour together. Add to a roasting dish.
Add remaining ingredients to roasting pan and stir lightly. Cover with a lid or foil and place in a 275 degree F oven for 4 – 5 hours.
Use a spoon to remove a piece of beef and allow to cool before sampling. Sample to determine if more seasonings needed added. Once the beef is tender and easy to eat the stew is ready to enjoy!
Other Hearty Farmhouse Recipes:
- Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
- Bacon Cheeseburger Pie
- Instant Pot Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- Best Taco Meatloaf
- Farmhouse Meatloaf
- Applesauce Meatballs
Printable Hearty Beef Stew Recipe
Hearty Beef Stew
- 10 3/4 ounces tomato soup undiluted
- 1 cup water red wine can be substituted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 pounds stew meat
- 1 1/2 cups carrots cut in 1-inch diagonal slices
- 6 onions white or yellow boiling onions, quartered
- 3 cups potatoes cut in bite sized cubes
- 1/2 cup celery cut in 1-inch chunks
- 16 ounces whole white mushrooms
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Mix together tomato soup, water or wine and flour until smooth. Pour into greased roasting pan.
- Add remaining ingredients to roasting dish. Stir and cover.
- Bake at 275°F for 4-5 hours.
- Season to taste and serve.
- Whether using precut stew meat or cutting up a chuck roast ensure pieces of beef are similarly sized and about bite-sized.
- Use a spoon to remove a piece of beef and allow to cool before sampling. Sample to determine if more seasonings needed added. Once the beef is tender and easy to eat the stew is ready to enjoy!