White rice is enhanced with Beef Consumme, French onion soup and a stick of butter to make a side dish that’s full of flavor!
Beef Consomme Rice Recipe
Buttery with the right amount of salty and beefy flavor with a French onion undertone this Beef flavored rice always disappears quickly.
Since two delicious ingredients mix together to make this recipe it is sometimes called French Onion Rice and other times Beef Consomme Rice.
Similar to our Sausage Fried Rice, but with with much less effort anyone can make this delicious side dish.
Also known as brown butter rice or butter stick rice, this recipe pairs best with red meat like beef and pork.
Chicken tastes fine too either chopped and mixed in the rice or served as a whole piece of meat alongside the French onion rice.
Why This Recipe Works
- In less than 5 minutes you can have a flavor packed side dish to pair with almost any meat.
- This brings a different flavor than a more traditional Rice Pilaf or Yellow Rice and Beans that pairs well with plain meat.
- Easy enough for my kids to make to go along with an easy family dinner.
- Stick of butter rice is a simple way to freshen up the menu with very little effort.
- Beef Consomme – Richer and more concentrated than beef broth, this product has a distinct and enjoyable flavor.
- French Onion Soup – A simple liquid naturally sweetened by brown onions adds a special touch to the recipe. Substituting a can of plain beef broth is fine if you prefer not to have the added texture of the slices of onion.
- White Rice – We use long grain, but Jasmine works fine too. Definitely use white rice, even though this is known as Brown Butter Rice because the beef consumme turns the rice brown.
- Butter – A whole stick is popular, but half of a stick is plenty in our opinion.
- Garlic Powder – Is an optional addition, some people also add paprika and pepper, these are personal preferences.
Do You Need A Full Stick of Butter?
Butter adds a wonderful richness to this rice and makes the leftovers easy to reheat without sticking together. While the recipe is called Stick Of Butter rice I think using half of a stick with one cup of dry white rice works fine.
Using a whole stick is really personal preference. More butter does make it easier to reheat and add other plain meat or veggies.
What To Serve With Butter Stick Rice
Serve with green vegetables and Baked Pork Chops.
Add flavor to leftover Thanksgiving turkey for an entirely different meal later in the week.
How To Make Consomme Rice
Lightly grease a 9 x 13″ baking pan or slightly smaller 2 1/2 quart dish.
Spread one cup of plain, uncooked white rice fairly evenly across the bottom.
Open and pour the can of Beef Consumme across the rice gently.
Season with garlic powder and any other desired spices like pepper or paprika.
Then pour the can of French Onion Soup over the dish.
Then slice up half to a whole stick of butter and lay the slices or pats of butter evenly spread out over the top of the liquid.
Cover with foil and bake in an oven preheated to 400℉ for 50 minutes to an hour.
Once the beef consomme rice is tender and finished baking stir well.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Beef Consumme has a beef broth base with other flavorings added and is reminiscent of Worcestershire sauce with the salty, soy flavors.
- Some people set a whole stick of butter in the center to bake, but I think slicing helps spread out the flavor a bit more evenly.
- Stir the rice well before serving for the best brown butter rice recipe.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes
Pineapple Fluff Side Dish is sweet, fruity and so easy to make.
Broccoli, Bacon and Cranberry Salad has a touch of dried fruit with savory bacon to create a great vegetable side dish.
Velveeta Shells and Cheese is a copycat version of the popular box mix.
French Onion and Beef Consomme Rice
- 1 cup white rice uncooked
- 10.5 ounce can beef consomme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10.5 ounce can French onion soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 13" pan with non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle a layer of white rice across the bottom of the dish.
- Pour a can of beef consomme and French onion soup over the rice.
- Sprinkle garlic powder over the rice.
- Slice a stick of butter and arrange slices evenly over the dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes to an hour.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.