Sweet and fluffy with mandarin oranges and crushed pineapple this Orange Sherbet Jello Salad recipe is delightful!
Orange Sherbet Jello Salad Recipe
Each bite of Orange Jello Salad with Sherbet reminds you of a cross between a push-pop and creamsicle popsicle. The Cool Whip adds more of a fluffy texture to the pieces of pineapple and mandarin oranges that you taste in the Jello.
Partially congealed, the consistency of this Jello dessert salad is unique. If you leave out the Cool Whip it could be poured in a Jello mold to set-up. We like the fluffier consistency that whipped topping provides.
A similar very sweet and memorable dish is our Cherry Coke Jello Salad.
Why This Recipe Works
- So many of us remember the Jello salads grandma and mom used to make and this is a spin on a classic vintage recipe
- Will fit in any decorative dish or plain bowl, so no Jello mold is needed
- Popular at the holidays as a side dish or dessert
- Mandarin Oranges – add to the visual interest of other orange ingredients and are enjoyable to eat.
- Crushed Pineapple – adds a citrus twist and provides more juice for the gelatin to dissolve into.
- Orange Jello – the name brand or a generic gelatin work fine.
- Orange Sherbet – adds a little more sweetness to the recipe and gives the recipe its name.
- Whipped Topping – Cool Whip or the name brand are fine, just defrost in the fridge per the directions on the container.
Step By Step Instructions
Drain mandarin oranges and crushed pineapple and take care to reserve the juices.
Put the juice in a liquid measuring cup and add enough water to make 2 cups.
Pour into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir often until boiling.
Then add orange gelatin and stir until dissolved.
Pour into a medium to large size mixing bowl to help cool slightly and make for more ingredients.
Add orange sherbet and stir until dissolved.
Refrigerate for about 20 – 30 minutes until mixture becomes syrupy.
Add drained fruit and chill about an hour until partially set.
Fold in whipped topping and chill for 30 – 60 minutes until set.
Once the color is uniform chill and enjoy!
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- 1 pint of orange sherbet is equal to 2 cups
- Once the Cool Whip is mixed in and salad is refrigerated it will semi congeal, so make sure it is in the serving container of your preference
- Garnish with mandarin oranges and mint leaves if desired
Storage and Shelf Life
Store covered or in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy within 1 – 2 days for best results.
This Jello salad fluff does not freeze well as the integrity of the ingredients will change during the defrosting process.
More Unique Vintage Recipes:
Lime Jello Salad has cottage cheese and is hands down our most popular Jello salad!
5 Cup Salad aka Ambrosia Salad from my friend Kate at the Gift of Hospitality
Cranberry Mold is super popular on the Thanksgiving table!
Orange Sherbet Jello Salad
- 6 ounces orange gelatin
- 15 ounce can mandarin oranges
- 20 ounce can crushed pineapple in natural juice
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- 2 cups orange sherbet or 1 pint
- Drain oranges and pineapple, reserving liquid.
- Add enough water to the fruit juice to equal 2 cups. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling liquid and remove pan from the heat.
- Pour into a medium mixing bowl and stir in sherbet until melted.
- Chill in the refrigerator until syrupy – about 20 minutes.
- Add drained fruit and chill until partially set.
- Fold in container of Cool Whip and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.