Creamy layers of Cool Whip and chocolate pudding in an Oreo crust topped with cherry pie filling makes an easy no-bake Black Forest Pie recipe.
Black Forest Pie Recipe
So simple to make, yet so pleasing to the eye the contrasting white, chocolate and red layers in this pie make your mouth water!
This Black Forest Pie recipe is perfect when you need a last minute dish to take along to a party or share with friends.
This dessert is so easy to make it only takes about ten minutes to put together. No baking is necessary which saves a lot of time.
Watching the cherry pie filling run down over the creamy layers of pie makes a great presentation on a dessert plate. We like to serve the pie filling separately in our Cherry Delight too.
- Oreo, chocolate or graham cracker pie crust
- Cool Whip or store brand whipped topping – we don’t notice a difference in a recipe like this.
- Cold milk – we like 2% milk, but 1% or whole milk works fine, just be sure it’s cold to help everything set up more quickly.
- Instant Chocolate Pudding – we typically use a small box of the store brand to save money
- Cherry pie filling – grab a small can as you only need 1 cup for this pie
How to Make Black Forest Pie
Spread 1 cup of whipped topping in the bottom of a prepared pie crust.
Place in freezer to firm up if you would like, or continue adding layers.
In a medium sized mixing bowl stir together cold milk and instant pudding mix.
Whisk together until well mixed. Then fold in 1 1/2 cups of whipped topping. Spread over base layer of whipped topping in the pie crust.
Then add remaining whipped topping evenly across the top.
The pie can be served immediately or chilled to make slicing neater and cleaner. We prefer to chill before serving!
Pie filling can be poured over the top of the entire pie or spooned over each piece individually.
Store extra pie covered in the refrigerator.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- We like to cut slices of pie and have people spoon cherry pie filling over each piece. It’s so pretty to see the filling run down over the layers of pie.
- Freeze the pie slightly to making slicing cleaner. A totally frozen pie is too hard to slice, but in a pie that has warmed a bit the layers will smear together more.
- The pie can be made with the chocolate pudding on the bottom and a thicker layer of whipped topping on top to create two layers. This version is a little easier to make.
- Be sure to use instant pudding as the cook and serve pudding mix will NOT work in this recipe.
More Easy No-Bake Dessert Recipes
Mandarin Orange Pie has pineapple and oranges mixed into a sweet, creamy mixture.
Cranberry Mold is perfect for big holidays to serve as a side dish or dessert.
White Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars are a delightful combination and taste like a white Reese’s cup treat!
Watergate Salad is a classic side dish or dessert that’s even more fun with the multi colored mini marshmallows.
Black Forest Pie
- 1 Oreo pie crust
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- 1 cup milk cold
- 3.9 ounce instant chocolate pudding
- 1 cup cherry pie filling
- Use a prepared pie crust or make your own. Spread 1 cup of whipped topping in the bottom of the pie crust. Place in freezer for 30 minutes or while pudding sets.
- In a mixing bowl combine milk and instant pudding. Mix well with a wire whisk.
- Use a spatula to fold in 1 1/2 cups (just under half of the whipped topping). Spread over whipped topping in crust.
- Spread remaining whipped topping over the top. Chill or partially freeze for a 2 – 3 hours before serving.
- Pour pie filling over the entire pie or spoon over each piece when serving.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.