This Classic Buckeye Cheesecake has a brownie crust and is filled with a sweet and creamy peanut butter filling and topped with a layer of chocolate. It looks like Buckeye candy and tastes like the ultimate Buckeye dessert! If you bring this cheesecake to a party you won’t have any leftovers to bring home!
Rich Chocolate & Peanut Butter Cheesecake
My mom makes this recipe for family birthday parties instead of a traditional cake. We have an Ohio State University graduate in our family who loves cheesecake and Buckeyes. We all happily enjoy this special birthday cheesecake!
This Buckeye cheesecake is so rich because every ingredient is rich! Only eight simple ingredients are needed to make this basic cheesecake, brownie mix, cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, peanut butter chips, eggs, vanilla, semi-sweet chocolate chip, and butter flavored shortening.
How to Make a Classic Buckeye Cheesecake
Prepare brownie mix according to package directions. Be sure to use a basic brownie mix. Some of the fancier brownie mixes with extra chocolate chips can take longer to bake and set up.
Use a springform pan so that it can be unsnapped and easily removed once the baking process is complete.
After baking the brownie in the springform pan and spooning batter over the brownie place the pan in a large baking pan with 1-inch hot water. This will keep the brownie from over baking.
Turn off the heat in the oven when the cheesecake is almost set. Remove the baking pan and water and allow the cheesecake to cool in the oven for 30 minutes.
After removing the cheesecake from the oven remove the springform pan and spread the chocolate glaze over the top and sides of the cake. Chill for three hours and garnish with more chocolate, strawberries or whatever your heart desires.
Here are other cakes that we enjoy at special parties:
- The Best Rich and Moist Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake
- Cinnamon Applesauce Cake
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Crescent Bars
Printable Recipe for Classic Buckeye Cheesecake
Classic Buckeye Cheesecake
- 1 package brownie mix 8x8 inch pan size
- 3 8-ounce packages cream cheese softened
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 10 ounce bag peanut butter chips melted
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening butter flavored
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare brownie mix according to directions on the box. Pour batter into pan and bake for 20 minutes and cool.
- Decrease oven temperature to 325 degrees F. In a clean bowl beat cream cheese until fluffy. Slowly add milk and beat well.
- Add melted peanut butter chips, eggs and vanilla. Mix very well. Pour over brownie. Place springform pan in another larger pan with 1 inch of hot water to help prevent the brownie from burning. Bake 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove cheesecake from oven and chill about an hour before removing the springform pan.
- Melt chips and shortening and stir until smooth. Pour mixture over the top and sides of the cheesecake and chill for 3 hours. Garnish with shaved chocolate and strawberries.