Our Easy Mississippi Mud Cake is a basic homemade chocolate cake with a layer of marshmallows melted between the cake and icing. This old fashioned cake is so easy to make and the marshmallow layer is a fun surprise!
Basic Homemade Chocolate Cake with Marshmallow Layer
We like to make this cake for potlucks and big family meals. Everyone in our family loves chocolate cake. Melting marshmallows on the chocolate cake adds a sweet, gooey layer that kids love. Pouring chocolate icing on top of a chocolate cake makes everyone happier! I just warmed a can of store-bought chocolate icing in the microwave and it easily pours over top of the soft, warm marshmallows.
Our family is divided about whether to include nuts in the cake. I enjoy the extra crunch and heartiness that nuts add, but the rest of the group prefers to focus on the chocolate flavor. When you like chocolate sometimes nuts can get in the way more than serve as an accent flavor. The good news is that nuts are VERY easy to stir in the batter or omit from the cake!
Do Farmers Take Vacation
Both sides of our family are farmers. We all have some livestock, some of us have more than others. Regardless of how many animals a farmer has, there are chores to do every day so getting away from the farm for a vacation can be challenging. I’m grateful that my family prioritizes finding help with the animals and getting away for vacation.
The first time I made this cake was for a family trip with my husband’s family. I’ve shared how much I appreciate their focus on family values and quality family time. They have a fantastic tradition where every five years Joe’s parents take the family on a bigger trip to celebrate their anniversary. 2014 was the first trip that included any of their kids bringing significant others.
I was so honored to go to Bar Harbour, Maine and visit Acadia National Park in 2014. The family time, sights and experiences were truly unforgettable!
God has been good to our family so in 2019 we had kids…a lot of little kids. So the group thought it best to stay in-state. We spent a few days at a state park. I enjoy making dessert so I brought along Chocolate Delight.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mississippi Mud Cake
- Mini marshmallows
- Can of chocolate frosting
How to Make Homemade Mississippi Chocolate Cake
- Melt butter and cocoa together.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar and eggs; mix well.
- Add flour, salt, nuts and vanilla; mix well.
- Pour batter in 9×13″ pan and bake for about 30 minutes.
- While cake is warm sprinkle marshmallows over top, cover with foil so marshmallows can melt.
- Cover with frosting that has been softened in the microwave.
Other Easy Chocolate Cake Recipes
- Best Rich and Moist Chocolate Cake
- Box Mix Turtle Cake
- Heath Bar Cake
- Milky Way Cake
- 3 Musketeers Cake
Printable Recipe for Homemade Mississippi Mud Cake
Easy Mississippi Mud Cake
- 2 sticks butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup nuts chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 can chocolate frosting I warm the can in the microwave and pour over marshmallows.
- Grease a 9x13" pan and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter and cocoa together.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar and eggs. Mix well.
- Add flour, salt, nuts, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Spoon batter into greased 9x13" pan. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle marshmallows over top of cake while still warm.
- Cover with frosting.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.