Are you looking for an old-fashioned homemade cake recipe with delicious cream cheese icing? Well, I found the perfect handwritten card to share. It literally is entitled The Best Cake Recipe.
Old-Fashioned Homemade Cake Recipe
This basic cake recipe is super moist because of the can of crushed pineapple in heavy syrup. Our family’s favorite part of the cake is the delicious homemade cream cheese icing. The walnuts are optional. Every other ingredient is basic for an old-fashioned homemade cake. This sheet pan cake is easy and delicious!
My husband, Farmer Joe, got rained out of farm work one day so he went to the grocery store for me. He bought crushed pineapple in heavy syrup instead of pineapple in it’s regular juices. His choice came in handy for this recipe!
I appreciate how easily the cake cuts up and serves. I love my Rada kitchen supplies, so I use this Rada cake spatula all of the time. Next time I’ll use a cake pan with a lid since the cream cheese icing needs to be refrigerated.
Old Fashioned Homemade Cream Cheese Icing
I found this “Best Cake Recipe” in the family archives and I was very pleasantly surprised with how delicious the basic cream cheese icing tastes! There are only four ingredients that we always have on hand – cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
One of my tricks is to set the cream cheese out on the counter about two hours before I plan to mix it up. Two hours is the safe zone for keeping cold foods cold. Softened cream cheese mixes up to make a smooth and creamy icing.
How to Make the Best Cake
- Mix together all cake ingredients until well blended.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Combine all icing ingredients except walnuts and spread icing on a cooled cake. Sprinkle walnuts on top if desired.
Ingredients Needed for “The Best Cake Recipe”
- Baking soda
- Crushed pineapple in heavy syrup
- Cream cheese
- Powdered Sugar
Here are other basic sheet pan cake recipes in a 9×13 pan that our family loves: Cinnamon Applesauce Cake, Banana Split Cake, and Farmhouse Apple Flip. We hope you enjoy these easy desserts in basic 9×13 inch pans as much as we do!
Other Easy Cake Recipes
Printable Recipe for The Best Cake
The Best Cake Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts optional
- 20 ounce can crushed pineapple and juice in heavy syrup
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 stick butter softened
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup walnuts to sprinkle on top optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all ingredients until well blended. Bake in oblong 9×13 pan for 30 – 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once the cake is cool, mix together the icing ingredients and spread on cake. Sprinkle with walnuts if desired.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Shared on Meal Plan Monday