Fresh bulbs of garlic roast among tomatoes and onions to make a classic homemade soup that bursts with flavor. Easy to make at home this Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup is a family favorite meal.
If you enjoy this recipe that’s trending on Tiktok you may also enjoy our Cajun Sausage Pasta with Fire Roasted Tomatoes.
Tomato Soup With Roasted Garlic Recipe
Fresh garlic and basil roast with tomatoes and onions to emit a mouthwatering aroma that helps build anticipation of finally sampling this delicious Tomato Soup.
Add a tray of caramelized veggies to a blender to transform the combination into this easy Tomato Soup With Roasted Garlic. We love that you can control how many herbs and seasonings to add during the blending process.
To make an entire meal with garlic serve with our Cheesy Hawaiian Roll Garlic Bread instead of a traditional grilled cheese.
Why This Recipe Works
- Freshly roasted garlic adds a special touch to fire roasted tomato soup.
- Making tomato soup is the perfect way to spend time together at home and enjoy a healthy homemade meal on a cold day.
- Wonderful to dip a melty grilled cheese sandwich into this easy Tomato Soup With Roasted Garlic.
- Pureeing in a blender and freezing leftovers is an easy way to meal prep a big batch of soup.
- Ripe Tomatoes
- Bulbs of garlic
- White balsamic vinegar – regular balsamic works fine too.
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Vegetable stock
- Heavy Cream
What Does Roasting Do To Vegetables?
Roasting tomatoes enhances the true flavors by evaporating some of the moisture and cooking the natural sugars to a more wonderful state.
More vibrant flavors in fresh herbs deepen the meal to taste more like restaurant quality. They also cost more, so it can be beneficial to have other recipes to make using them like Pasta with Marinara and Alfredo.
How to Know When Tomatoes Are Done Roasting?
The center of the tomatoes will become a deeper more intensified color with a skin that wrinkles as moisture evaporates and a surface that appears slightly charred as the sugars caramelize from exposure to high heat.
This process creates a wonderful aroma in the kitchen.
Tomatoes are done roasting when they have a uniform color and caramelization. The biggest factor in vegetables roasting evenly in this dish or in our Smoked Sausage and Veggies Sheet Pan meal is beginning with equally sized pieces.
Depending on how evenly your oven roasts the pan may need rotated or tomatoes rearranged to be spaced more evenly as they cook.
Tomatoes will shrink slightly while roasting as the moisture evaporates. This is especially true when the vegetables are cut into quarters. The cut side will
Step By Step Instructions
Wash tomatoes and chop into quarters. Arrange with the cut side up on a large baking sheet.
Slice top and bottom off of bunches of garlic and space out around the tomatoes. I like to put one in the center and one on each side.
Remove the outer layer from the onions. Slice in half and then cut in eights. Do not separate the layers and arrange around the tomatoes.
Wash fresh basil and remove the leaves. Cut into two inch pieces and sprinkle over the pan.
Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the veggies.
Finally use a grinder to spread black pepper, paprika, salt and a little sugar over the pan.
How To Tell When Tomatoes Are Done Roasting
If baking sheet is full and veggies are close together roast for 40 minutes or until the color of the tomatoes intensifies, there is a slight brown or charred look on parts of the pan and the skins start to collapse.
Pureeing the Soup
Once the tomatoes are roasted. Set the garlic aside to cool off a bit.
Use a large spoon to add the remaining ingredients to a large blender.
Add a cup of vegetable stock, fresh basil, thyme and oregano to the blender.
If you like a spicy touch add chili flakes or chili peppers.
Finally squeeze the roasted garlic out of the skins onto the baking sheet. The tender centers will be a wonderful accent to the tomato flavors in the soup. Discard the skins or peels before adding to the blender.
Seal the blender and purée until smooth.
Pour into a stock pot and heat over medium heat.
Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
Spoon into bowls and shave fresh Parmesan over the top.
Add more freshly ground pepper and a sprig of basil for garnish.
Swirl a bit more heavy cream on top of soup.
Enjoy while warm. Creates the perfect dipping material for a toasted cheese sandwich.
Recipe Tips For Roast Tomato Garlic Soup
- Running through a wire mesh strainer is optional to create a smoother mixture, but we’ve never found this step necessary.
- Use silicone baking mits to squeeze the roasted cloves of garlic out of the fully roasted bulb.
- 4 pounds is about 12 medium tomatoes.
- We try to use fresh herbs and add more by taste testing while pureeing, but dried options can work if fresh isn’t readily available.
More Easy Family Meals
Hamburger Cabbage Casserole is a simple meal with a wonder tomato base to blend the rice, meat and veggies together.
Pork Loin and Sauerkraut is tangy with a hint of sweetness that makes this classic meal enjoyable.
Velveeta Shells and Cheese has a golden yellow cheese sauce that’s better than the blue box!
Pork Chop Casserole has simple ingredients to create a meal with wonderful flavors.
Roasted Garlic Tomato Soup
- 4 pounds tomatoes
- 2 large onions
- 3 bulbs garlic
- 1/4 cup basil roast stems with tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup Parmesan freshly shaved
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Chop tomatoes and arrange cut side up on a large baking sheet.
- Slice top and bottom off bulb of garlic to reveal raw garlic. Place bulbs around the baking sheet.
- Chop onions and arrange chunks around the tomatoes.
- Remove basil leaves and set aside. Keep the stems, chop into sections and add to the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, parprika and sugar over the veggies.
- Roast at 400°F for 40 minutes or until everything is nice and caramelized on top from roasting.
- Set garlic aside and add roasted veggies to a large blender.
- Add vegetable stock, basil leaves, thyme, and oregano.
- Squeeze soft insides of garlic into a large blender and blend until pureed.
- Pour into a stock pot and turn to medium heat until soup is desired temperature. Add cream and serve when soup is warm.
- Spoon into bowls. Add a swirl of cream, sprig of basil, freshly ground pepper and freshly shaved Parmesan for garnish.
- 4 pounds is about 12 medium tomatoes
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.