Chocolatetown Special Cake is an old fashioned homemade cake recipe that will delight chocolate lovers! The homemade chocolate icing has a hot cocoa flavor that is irresistible!
Old Fashioned Hershey’s Chocolate Cake
My family shared a newspaper clipping from the 1980s that featured this recipe for chocolate lovers!
My favorite chocolate cake is this Moist and Delicious Chocolate from a cake mix. So I was excited to try an easy chocolate cake from scratch.
Every once in awhile it’s nice to try new recipes from scratch. We enjoyed watching our kids eat it. They said the homemade chocolate cake tasted funny. I shared some with our childcare provider and her girls said the same thing. We talked about it and decided that our kids are so accustomed to cakes made from a box mix that is what they consider normal.
All of us adults enjoyed the special treat!
Making a variety of recipes from decades ago has helped me learn more about our food history. I really appreciate the advances that have been made. There are so many more conveniences in food that are affordable to the masses.
I’ll probably make many more easy cakes from cake mixes, but I’m really glad I made this cake! I’m also glad the recipe is preserved right here!
Tips for making Chocolatetown Special Cake
- Grease cake pans well so that the cake will release easily
- Be sure not to over bake the cake, burnt edges aren’t enjoyable
- Allow the cakes to cool on a baking rack for about 15 minutes
- Place baking rack on top of one cake pan at a time and flip over, leave on baking rack and allow to cool completely
- The top of the cake should be placed faced down on a cake server
- Use just less than half of the icing to cover the bottom cake
- Add second cake, also face down and cover cake with remaining icing
How to Make Chocolatetown Cake
- Grease and flour two 9-inch layer pans. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl measure out cocoa and add boiling water. Stir until smooth and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, beat well.
- In a third bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture. Blend in cocoa mixture.
- Split batter evenly between pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool about ten minutes then remove from pans and place on a cooling rack. Once cake has cooled completely frost the top and sides.
- Make the frosting by creaming butter and cocoa. Alternate adding portions of the confections sugar and milk. Add vanilla and mix well.
Printable Chocolatetown Special Cake Recipe
Chocolatetown Special CakeChocolatetown Special Cake is an old fashioned homemade cake recipe that will delight chocolate lovers! The homemade chocolate icing has a hot cocoa flavor that is irresistible!Print Pin RateServings: 12 peopleCalories: 489kcal
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup butter calls for shortening – see if butter is okay
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 2/3 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Grease and flour two 9-inch layer pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stir together cocoa and boiling water in small bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, beat well.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture. Blend in cocoa mixture.
- Pour into pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool ten minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely; frost with….
- Cream butter and cocoa. Alternate adding portions of the confections sugar and milk. Add vanilla and mix well.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
NutritionCalories: 489kcal | Carbohydrates: 79g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 418mg | Potassium: 174mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 57g | Vitamin A: 585IU | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 2mg