A box of cake mix and a can of cherry pie filling come together to make a rich and delicious Chocolate Cherry Bars dessert recipe!
Chocolate Cherry Bars Recipe
A combination of cake and cherries with a rich chocolate icing makes a chocolate cherry dessert that’s bursting with flavor. Get a big bite of chocolate cake with a couple cherries and there’s a lot of deliciousness to enjoy.
My husband says the key to enjoying these dessert bars is to get a big bite of cake just to guarantee you’ll have some cherries. Let’s be honest, this is how he enjoys most desserts from our Moist & Rich Chocolate Cake to our Cowboy Cookies, big bites are his style.
Sweet cherry pie filling with extra cherries nicely compliments the dark chocolate in the devil’s food cake mix just like in our Black Forest Cherry Bundt Cake and No-Bake Black Forest Pie.
Just like our Texas Brownies this recipe calls for a jelly roll pan and a thin layer of homemade icing that you boil and pour over the top. Part dessert bars and part cake these Chocolate Cherry Bars have a lighter cake texture than a typical sheet cake.
Chocolate Cherry Dessert
Beautiful desserts like Cherry Delight or Mini Cherry Cheesecakes catch people’s eye on the dessert table. But chocolate desserts like Chocolate Delight and Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies seem to be more popular. So combining the best of both worlds to make this yummy Chocolate Cherry Dessert is a real winner!
I think the chocolate frosting is what literally and figuratively tops this dessert off. When chocolate or chocolate frosting is involved people sure seem to be more interested in getting samples!
This double chocolate recipe is similar to a brownie, but isn’t quite as rich. Nuts can be be added for more of a crunch. Half a bag of chocolate chips is melted to make the frosting. The other half of the bag of chocolate chips can be stirred into the batter along with the cherry pie filling to make chocolate chip cherry bars.
Another great recipe that we make in this half of a sheet pan is our Strawberry Sheet Cake.
- Devil’s Food Cake mix OR Fudge Cake Mix
- Can of cherry pie filling
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
How to Make Chocolate Cherry Bars
In a mixing bowl stir together cake mix, eggs, vanilla and cherry pie filling. Pour batter in a greased jelly roll pan.
Bake at 350°F for 20 – 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool for a little while before making frosting.
To make the frosting, partially melt butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in milk, chocolate chips and sugar.
Stir often over medium heat until mixture begins to boil then stir continuously for one minute while the icing boils. Pour over cake immediately to allow icing to set up.
Tips & Tricks
- If a jelly roll pan isn’t available a 9×13 pan can be used, but baking time will increase because the cake mixture will be thicker. The icing should be thicker as well.
- A can of purchased chocolate icing may be used
- Use a serrated knife to cut the knife into bars
- We prefer the can of cherry pie filling with extra cherries
- 1/2 to 1 cup of chopped nuts can be added to the batter
- 6 ounces or the other half of bag of chocolate chips can be mixed in the batter if desired
More Delicious Chocolate Dessert Recipes:
White Chocolate Chip Brownies have a layer of white chocolate chips on top of a soft chocolate brownie that is super delicious.
Devil’s Food Cookies are a super easy way to get a chocolate fix!
Chocolate Cobbler from Dance Around the Kitchen almost makes me want to lick the screen. It’s that beautiful and delicious!
Easy Triple Chocolate Fudge Cake has an amazing chocolate mousse icing on top of a layer of hot fudge and a super moist cake that is very memorable.
Milk Chocolate Covered Almonds stir salted almonds into chocolate melting in the crock pot to make super easy homemade candy.
Printable Chocolate Cherry Bars Recipe
Chocolate Cherry Bars
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 2 eggs beaten
- 21 ounce can cherry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan.
- Mix up cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and vanilla. Pour into pan and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool.
- Partially melt butter over medium heat in a sauce pan. Stir in milk, chocolate chips and sugar. Stir often.
- When mixture begins to boil stir continuously for one minute. Pour slowly over cake to allow for an even distribution. Allow frosting about 20 minutes to set up and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Leave a Reply