This vintage Orange Jello Salad recipe is simple and delicious! Mandarin oranges and crushed pineapple are mixed into orange gelatin and topped with a Cool Whip and vanilla pudding frosting that is wonderful!
A sweeter version of this recipe that is more of a fluff is our Orange Sherbet Jello Salad.
Mandarin Orange Jello Salad Recipe
Triple orange flavors come from orange gelatin, orange juice concentrate and mandarin oranges. When the tropical crushed pineapple pieces and juice are mixed in the sweet and fruity goodness this recipe gets even better.
Cool Whip or Dream Whip mixes with instant vanilla pudding to create a top layer that adds a lot to this orange gelatin salad. The creamy dreamy flavors of whipped topping have a hint of vanilla so more flavor is packed in each bite.
With a similar flavor profile to our Orange Cake with Pineapple Icing and Orange Dreamsicle Cake this classic Mandarin Orange Jello Salad is cool and refreshing on a hot summer day. Just like our 7-Up Jello Salad and Watergate Salad, this is a great recipe to take to a picnic or potluck.
An 8×8 or 9×9 square pan makes a thick piece of congealed orange Jello salad. A 9×13 pan makes a thinner layer of gelatin to make smaller servings for more people. When using a bigger pan I double the frosting because that is my favorite part and I want to make sure there’s enough to go around.
Our Orange Delight is a Jello fluff salad of sorts, but it doesn’t use boiling water. This Orange jello salad dissolves the gelatin in boiling water and does not contain cottage cheese like the Orange Delight.
- Orange gelatin
- Boiling water
- Orange juice concentrate
- Crushed pineapple
- Mandarin oranges
- Whipped topping
- Instant vanilla pudding
Tips & Tricks
- Orange Jello layer can be mixed up a day or two ahead of serving. The frosting should be applied within 24 hours of use and kept chilled for best results.
- A few mandarin oranges can be set aside to garnish if desired.
- Fresh mandarin oranges can be used in place of canned oranges if desired.
- Dream Whip and 1 small package of instant vanilla pudding can be used for the frosting layer instead of Cool Whip.
- Only just 1 cup of boiling water as more liquid will come from the pineapple juice.
- Generic ingredients taste just as good as the name-brand ingredients and will help save money.
- This jello salad can be spiked with a couple of shots of your favorite liquor. Just make sure the kids can’t get into it!
- A liquid measuring cup can be used to pour liquid gelatin mixture into smaller containers to make individual portions if desired.
How to Make Orange Jello Salad
Boil 1 cup of water and dissolve two small boxes of gelatin in the boiling water. Whisk together until the gelatin is completely dissolved; at this point you should not be able to see individual grains or pieces of the gelatin mix.
Remove from the heat and stir in orange juice concentrate, crushed pineapple with juice and the drained mandarin oranges. Pour into a pan, cover and store in a level spot in the refrigerator until firm.
In a mixing bowl whisk together defrosted whipped topping and instant vanilla pudding mix. Spread over chilled and set Jello layer. Serve immediately or store covered in the refrigerator.
Enjoy every bite of this cool and refreshing treat that’s full of bright flavors!
More Delicious Holiday Recipes:
No-Bake Oreo Peanut Butter Pie is a layer of easy peanut butter pie on a thick and easy Oreo crust. The chocolate and peanut butter flavor combination is irresistible!
Pina Colada Cake is another tropical favorite poke cake that mixes up very quickly!
Strawberry Banana Split Cake is sweet treat with lots of fruit flavors a creamy topping, chocolate syrup and chopped nuts.
Orange Jello Salad
- 6 ounces orange gelatin 2 small packages
- 1 cup boiling water
- 6 ounce can frozen orange juice slightly defrosted
- 20 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice
- 15 ounce can mandarin oranges drained
- 8 ounces whipped topping defrosted
- 3.5 ounce box instant vanilla pudding
- Boil water in a saucepan and then add orange gelatin. Turn off heat and whisk until gelatin is dissolved.
- Stir in orange juice concentrate, crushed pineapple with the juice and drained mandarin oranges. Reserve a few oranges to garnish the top if desired.
- Pour into an 8×8 or 9×9 dish and chill to set.
- Stir instant pudding mix into whipped topping and spread over orange jello mixture. Store in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.