A thin crust under rich and creamy layers of cream cheese, Cool Whip and chocolate pudding make this Chocolate Yum Yum recipe delicious!
Chocolate Yum Yum Recipe
Also known as Texas Yum Yum, this dessert layers Cool Whip, chocolate pudding and cream cheese on top of a basic flour crust. This treat is super memorable for all the right reasons!
Cool and refreshing this Chocolate Yum Yum recipe is popular at summer picnics as well as holidays and big family meals all year long.
Lighter than our super popular Chocolate Cake from a Box Mix, this dessert makes you say “yum yum” and holds it’s own on the dessert table.
Another comparable pudding and cream cheese based recipe is our Oreo Dirt Cake. We love having a variety of easy to make recipes that we always keep the ingredients on hand.
If you enjoy this pudding dessert you may also enjoy our No-Bake Pumpkin Fluff Pie, Pistachio Pudding Cake and Butterscotch Delight.
Why This Recipe Works
- Almost everyone has had this recipe at some point and it usually brings back good memories of meals with loved ones.
- Can be made a day ahead of time and refrigerated to make the day of the party or get together run more smoothly.
- This pudding dessert is really easy to make. My kids can easily help with this one.
- While there are a few layers I only used one mixing bowl and spatula to minimize dishes.
- All-purpose flour
- Chopped nuts or chopped pecans
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Cool Whip
- Instant chocolate pudding
How to Make Yum Yum Dessert
- Mix up the softened butter, flour and sugar. Chopped nuts can be mixed in or left out. Press into a lightly greased 9 x 13″ baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes at 350°F. Allow crust to cool before layering on cool ingredients.
- Beat cream cheese and confectioners sugar together. Then fold in half of the Cool Whip. Spread on top of the crust.
- Mix up pudding and milk. Chill until pudding is set and then pour over the cream cheese layer.
- Top with remaining Cool Whip.
- Garnish with chopped nuts or mini chocolate chips.
Step By Step Instructions
Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly coat a 9×13 dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl beat together flour, sugar and partially melted butter.
Using clean hands press into the dish and bake for 15 minutes. Allow baked crust to cool before adding any additional layers.
Using the same mixing bowl beat softened cream cheese until smooth.
Then add confectioners sugar and mix well.
Finally add half of a large tub or a regular sized 8 ounce tub of whipped topping. Fold the mixture together repeatedly until mixed.
Whisk together instant pudding mix and milk. Refrigerate at least 15 minutes to allow pudding to set.
Once pudding is mostly firm pour over cream cheese layer. Use a silicone spatula to spread chocolate pudding out evenly.
I like to rinse the spatula under hot running water and use it to smooth out the remaining whipped topping on the top layer.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Be sure crust cools before adding cool layers or the cream cheese and Cool Whip layer may become a bit melted.
- The recipe can be altered by doubling the cream cheese layer or using half as much whipped topping. This is our favorite version, but there’s plenty of room for personal preference.
- Since all the layers fill up a 9 x13 dish I like to use our Pyrex dish with a lid to protect the whipped topping layer. Sometimes plastic wrap will sink into the topping.
More Easy 9 x 13″ Dessert Recipes
Chocolate Pudding Cake uses a box mix and instant pudding to create a simple masterpiece that my son started making in 3rd grade!
Simple Sour Cream & Coconut Cake has layers of creamy goodness on top of a box mix of cake.
Honey Bun Swirl Cake looks so pretty and is super easy to make. Makes a great breakfast or dessert!
Church Cake starts with a Jiffy mix and adds layers of cream cheese and Cool Whip for even more goodness.
Printable Chocolate Yum Recipe
Chocolate Yum Yum
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts optional
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces whipped topping thawed
- 6 ounces instant chocolate pudding
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 8 ounces whipped topping thawed
- 1 cup chopped nuts optional
- Melt butter and stir in sugar, flour and 1/4 cup of chopped nuts.
- Press in lightly greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Beat cream cheese and mix in powdered sugar and 8 ounces of whipped topping.
- Spread over cooled crust.
- Prepare pudding as directed on package and spread over the cream cheese mixture.
- Top with remaining whipped topping and garnish with chopped nuts.
- Chill before serving and store in the refrigerator.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Leave a Reply