Layers of butterscotch pudding, cream cheese and Cool Whip on a flour crust make a light and heavenly Butterscotch Delight dessert.
Butterscotch Delight Dessert Recipe
Instant butterscotch and vanilla pudding mix together to form a creamy layer when enjoyed together with the cream cheese and whipped topping makes one of the best desserts.
Also called Butterscotch Lush or Butterscotch Surprise this is a classic dessert recipe to share at potlucks, carry-ins and picnics. It’s pretty easy to make too!
Whenever there’s a crowd of people our Chocolate Delight is always one of the first dishes to be cleaned out. When I saw this similar Butterscotch Delight recipe in an old cookbook from farm families across the midwest I knew it would be yummy!
The original recipe calls for one small box of instant butterscotch pudding and one small box of insant vanilla pudding. This mixture creates a very mild and pleasing flavor for this light dessert. For a richer butterscotch flavor two boxes of butterscotch pudding can easily be used.
Old Fashioned Butterscotch Desserts
This pudding dessert stands out for two reasons, it’s easy to make and has an old fashioned butterscotch flavor. The nuts also add a nice crunch and meaty flavor to this light and creamy dessert.
A similar butterscotch dessert with a slightly different balance of ingredients comes from my friend Julie at Back to My Southern Roots.
Ingredients Needed to Make Butterscotch Delight
- All-purpose flour
- Chopped nuts are optional for the crust and to sprinkle on top
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Cool Whip or other whipped topping
- Instant butterscotch pudding
- Instant vanilla pudding
How to Make Butterscotch Delight
- Use an electric mixer to beat together softened butter and flour. Mix in nuts if desired.
- Spread into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Use your fingers to spread the mixture out into as even of a layer as possible. Bake in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes until lightly browned.
3. Beat together softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and 1 cup of whipped topping.
4. After the crust has cooled spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the crust.
5. Whisk together milk and tow small boxes of instant pudding. Spread over cream cheese layer.
6. Spread remaining Cool Whip on top of the pudding. If you really like Cool Whip a second tub can be used to make an extra thick layer.
7. Sprinkle with a few nuts or butterscotch chips and refrigerate for 1 to 12 hours until ready to serve.
More Old-Fashioned Dessert Recipes
Strawberry Banana Split Cake combines layers of fruit for another delicious lush dessert packed with flavor!
Farmhouse Fudge is a recipe my grandma made every Christmas for years, but it’s so good all year around.
Watergate Salad is made with crushed pineapple, pistachio pudding, marshmallows and Cool Whip and can be mixed up in less than 5 minutes!
7-Up Jello Salad is another classic that is super sweet and packed with cool lemon and lime flavors.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup nuts optional
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipped topping defrosted
- 3 ounce package instant butterscotch pudding
- 3 ounce package instant vanilla pudding
- 3 cups milk
Cool Whip Layer
- 2 cups whipped topping defrosted
- Lightly grease a 9×13 inch pan and preheat oven to 350° for 15 minutes; let cool.
- Mix together flour and butter; add nuts if desired.
Cream Cheese Layer
- Mix together cream cheese, powdered sugar and 1 cup whipped topping until well blended. Spread over cooled crust.
- Whisk together puddings and milk until thick. Spread over second layer.
- Top with remainder of tub of whipped topping and chopped walnuts if desired.
- For best results chill for at least an hour before serving.
- 16 ounces of Cool Whip can be used to a thicker layer on top if desired
- 2 small boxes of butterscotch pudding can used for a stronger butterscotch flavor in place of 1 box of butterscotch and 1 box of vanilla pudding
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.