Butterscotch Refrigerator Cookies are soft and chewy and almost taste like a Pecan Sandie! These cookies are perfect for potlucks and have a wonderful butterscotch flavor that isn’t too overpowering.
How to Shape Refrigerator Cookies
I’m so grateful that a friend shared this recipe which came from her grandmother and has been in their family a long time. Keeping with the tradition of vintage recipes there weren’t many details about shaping the cookies. I’m glad to report that these butterscotch refrigerator cookies are very easy to make.
Brown sugar is the key ingredient that brings the buttercotch flavor since these cookies are made without butterscotch baking chips. We also love our Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies which are made with butterscotch baking chips.
The dough mixes up very quickly. Then I split the dough in half for easier handling.
Use about a foot of plastic wrap and make a log long ways down the center. Roll the plastic wrap around the dough. Roll on the counter to the shape that you prefer. Wrap the ends as tightly as possible around the dough before placing in the refrigerator to prevent drying out.
We have a debate about nuts in our house. The extra flavor and meatiness nuts add to baked goods has been growing on me, but most of my roommates are opposed to nuts. I tested this recipe y mixing the nuts in the dough and by sprinkling them on top of the sliced cookies just before placing them in the oven. The taste is the same, but the cookies look more attractive with the nuts sprinkled on top.
My friend who shared the recipe also recommends slicing some cookies very thin, almost like chips. I look forward to trying that next time!
How to Make Refrigerator Cookies
- Using a mixer cream butter and sugar well. Add eggs and milk, mix well.
- Slowly add dry ingredients and mix well. Mix nuts into dough OR sprinkle chopped nuts on individual cookies just before baking for a more decorative look. If mixing nuts in mix well.
- Layout plastic wrap and make rolls out of the dough. Let stand in rolls overnight in the refrigerator.
- Slice and bake in oven at 375°F. for 7 to 10 minutes depending on thickness of the slice.
Here are a few other old fashioned desserts that our family enjoys:
We hope you enjoy these recipes as much as we do!
Printable Butterscotch Refrigerator Cookies Recipe
Butterscotch Refrigerator Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 well beaten eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans optional
- Cream butter and sugar well. Add eggs and milk, mix well.
- Slowly add dry ingredients and mix well. Mix nuts into dough OR sprinkle chopped nuts on individual cookies just before baking for a more decorative look.
- Mix; let stand in rolls overnight in the refrigerator. Slice and bake in oven at 375 degrees F. for 7 to 10 minutes depending on thickness of the slice.