Banana Jumbos are an old-fashioned recipe that tastes like banana bread but in cookie form. These treats are moist and so easy to make. Banana Jumbos are the perfect way to use browning bananas to make a handy breakfast or snack.
Old Fashioned Banana Jumbos
This is another treasured recipe from our family archives. I love easy recipes that call for basic ingredients.
Buttermilk is the only ingredient that we don’t always have on hand, but it is very easy to make. To make buttermilk add 1 tablespoon of an acid like vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk.
We have a family debate about including nuts in this recipe. Nuts were omitted from a portion of the first batch to the delight of half the family. Plain jumbos taste fine to me but look pretty plain. For the second batch, I included the full amount of nuts and sprinkled a few additional nuts on top to make the banana jumbos look more attractive.
Another old fashioned recipe that our family enjoys snacking on is our Peanut Butter Bread.
Variations of Banana Jumbos
We love chocolate, so I tested a few of these banana bread cookie treats by adding chocolate chips to the top before baking. I’m shocked to share that they tasted fine with the chocolate chips, but I didn’t think the chocolate added very much flavor. The nuts added more to this recipe than chocolate. There’s a phrase I NEVER thought I’d say out loud or type 🙂
Here are a few other of our best banana recipes that we hope you enjoy as much as we do!
Printable Recipe for Banana Jumbos
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 3 cups flour can use 1/3 oats if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix well.
- Blend together all remaining ingredients and drop by tablespoon onto greased cookie sheet. Reserve some nuts to sprinkle on top of the banana jumbos before baking if desired.
- Bake until cookie springs back when touched about 8 to 10 minutes. This cookie will stay soft.