Eagle Brand milk provided product and a grocery allowance to write this post, but all opinions are my own.
These five to seven layer magic bars have been a go-to cookie recipe in our family for decades! There are only a few ingredients and the Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk tops it all off to make this the BEST, ooey-gooey bar cookie recipe!
Eagle Brand Magic Cookie Bars Recipe
A crust made with crushed graham crackers and melted butter is the base layer of something good. Then chocolate chips and butterscotch chips are sprinkled evenly over the graham cracker crust.
Coconut and chopped nuts can be added if desired to make a seven layer cookie. My family goes straight for that high quality can of sweetened condensed milk and drizzles it all over those baking chips. Santa is a sucker for this dessert and always leaves more gifts when we leave him these cookies!
This is bar cookie perfection once all of the ingredients melt together. We may have eaten these with a spoon while still really warm from time to time, but letting them cool off and cutting into bars is best!
I can remember many times that my mom has mixed up a batch of these bar cookies to give to a friend or take along to a potluck style meal. There are ALWAYS many compliments, and the plate ALWAYS comes home clean!
Eagle Brand Magic Bars
As I purchased the ingredients I noticed that Eagle Brand milk is owned by Borden Dairy, which is owned by Dairy Farmers of America (DFA) which is a cooperative of farmers.
My family milked cows on our farm as I was growing up, and we were members of DFA because they have the staff to market milk to various processing plants. Feeding, milking (two times a day, everyday, no matter what) and cleaning up after cows is a big job. Lots of farmers, like my family joined together to invest in the cooperative to handle more of the milk marketing details. We are still farmers, but we sold the dairy cows to another farmer about six years ago.
The food system is so big and complex, I always enjoy finding connections like this that make it all smaller. And I’m always excited to share that when you buy food from big companies you are supporting local farming families.
Sometimes we leave these cookies out for Santa. The years that we’ve done that we’ve gotten more gifts, so I think he really likes them!
Here is another favorite cookie that can often be found on our farmhouse table, The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies! We hope you enjoy these cookies as much as we do!
How to Make Magic Cookie Bars
- Melt butter in a 9 x 13″ baking dish and sprinkle graham cracker crumbs evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle the majority of semi-sweet and butterscotch baking chips evenly over the top of the pan. If using nuts and coconut add them in an even layer at this time.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk over the chips in an even coating.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 20 – 25 minutes until the edges begin to brown. Sprinkle remaining chips along the edge and in any bare spots. Serve warm and enjoy!
More Easy and Delicious Bar Cookie Recipes:
Best Sour Cream Cookies are classic cut-out cookies that are super moist and delicious and a must at the holidays!
Buckeye Cookie Bars start with a Lorna Doone shortbread cookies and add layers of peanut butter and chocolate goodness.
Printable Five Layer Bar Cookie Recipe
Eagle Brand Magic Cookie Bars
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 ounces butterscotch baking chips
- 14 ounce can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Melt stick of butter in 9×13 inch pan. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs evenly over melted butter.
- Sprinkle about 9 ounces of each of the baking chips evenly.
- Pour can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk over pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle remaining baking chips evenly over the top. If brown around the edges the cookies are done, if not bake until the edges have started to brown.
- Let cool before cutting. Enjoy 🙂
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.