A sweet vanilla wafer crust topped with layers of cream cheese, banana pudding and Cool Whip create this wonderful Banana Cream Dessert.
Also Known As Banana Cream Pie Bars
The main flavor is banana cream pudding. Sandwiched between layers of cream cheese and whipped topping this Banana Delight is easy to make and looks attractive.
Made in a 9 x 13″ pan this recipe tastes like pie, but makes a bigger batch with very little effort.
Similar to our Banana Pudding, this dessert features pudding and cream cheese that’s sweetened with powdered sugar to create the main flavors. These center layers are enhanced by a light Cool Whip on top and crunchy vanilla wafers on the bottom.
Banana Cream Delight Recipe
The banana pudding dessert ensures a light, consistent taste every time you make it.
When using real bananas the taste can vary quite a bit based on the ripeness of the bananas. So, this dessert is easy, uses non-perishable ingredients that you commonly have on hand and tastes great! Recipes that can be whipped up for last minute company or an impromptu party are great to have handy.
I love the variety of pudding flavors available and how they create economical desserts. My mom shared this recipe with lemon pudding, but we wanted to try another twist. The banana cream pudding is perfect for this light and easy dessert idea!
These Banana Cream Pie Bars taste great with basic ingredients, but chopped nuts and maraschino cherries can make it even more delightful.
Why This Recipe Works:
- The layers create a very eye appealing banana dessert that is easy to make.
- Great banana flavor, yet it is made without fresh bananas.
- An easy recipe to make a day ahead of time – so just grab and go when you’re ready to share at a party.
- This triple layer cream dessert uses easy ingredients that are not highly perishable and can easily be kept on hand for up to a month ahead of preparing.
- Vanilla Wafers
- Powdered Sugar
- Cream Cheese
- Banana Cream instant pudding
- Whipped Topping, also known as Cool Whip
Substitute Lorna Doone Shortbread Cookies for Vanilla Wafers
My favorite pudding dessert crust is in our Candy Land Dessert and has Lorna Doone cookies in it. The cookies hold together well and taste great, but are fairly expensive and can be difficult to find. Vanilla wafers are a cheap and easy alternative!
I’ve made this a couple of times and struggled to get the crust to hold together perfectly. Be sure to use finely crushed cookies and press them firmly in the bottom of the pan.
How to Make Banana Delight
Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
In a large plastic bag that has an opening for air to escape. Crush vanilla wafers finely.
Coarse pieces won’t stick together as well as finely crushed pieces.
Put crushed wafers in a bowl and mix with one stick of melted butter.
Press firmly into the bottom of the pan and bake for 5 minutes.
Allow to cool completely.
Using an electric mixer beat softened cream cheese and sugar until mixed well.
Stir in 1 cup of whipped topping.
Spread over cooled crust.
Using a whisk, mix pudding and milk.
Spread over cream cheese mixture and refrigerate until pudding is set.
Spread remaining whipped topping over dish. Garnish with chopped nuts and chopped maraschino cherries if desired. Keep refrigerated.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Refrigerate for a few hours before cutting so the layers remain separate and visible.
- Banana Cream Layer Dessert can be made and chilled up to two days ahead.
- Can get creative making a pretty pattern with the top layer of whipped topping.
More Banana Dessert Recipes:
OTHER EASY POTLUCK DESSERT RECIPES:
Banana Cream Dessert
- 11 ounce box vanilla wafers crushed
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 6.8 ounces instant banana cream pudding 2 small boxes
- 3 cups milk
- 8 ounces whipped topping thawed
- chopped nuts optional for garnish
- maraschino cherries optional for garnish
- Crush vanilla wafers finely and mix with one stick of melted butter.
- Spread in bottom of a greased 9 x 13 inch pan and bake at 400℉ for 5 minutes. Let cool.
- Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar.
- Fold in 1 cup of whipped topping. Spread over crust.
- Mix pudding and milk. Spread over mixture and chill until pudding is set.
- Top with remaining whipped topping. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Garnish with chopped nuts and chopped maraschino cherries just before serving if desired.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally published on December 28, 2018 with pictures updated on June 28, 2023.