A recipe that pleases cheese lovers, Homemade Stuffed Crust Pizza is easy to make and helps save money on groceries.
With mozzarella cheese baked into the outer edge of the crust, every bite of this pizza is really enjoyable!
Stuffed Crust Pizza Recipe
Pizza is one of the most popular meals in our house. Adding cheese to the outer edge of the crust makes this common meal more special and delicious with very little effort!
Inspired by Titkok, three simple ingredients mix together to make a super easy and delicious pizza crust. Fold the edges around pieces of mozzarella cheese sticks to create Homemade Stuffed Crust Pizza.
Moist from the yogurt with a hint of cheesy flavor from the nutritional yeast and classic self rising flour make a simple pizza crust.
Add sauce and your favorite pizza toppings and in less than 30 minutes you’ve got a great dinner on the table! Serve with our easy Hawaiian Roll Garlic Bread for an amazing meal!
Four Ingredient Cheese Stuffed Crust
As a pizza expert I was skeptical about these trendy ingredients in the crust. I grew up with a homemade crust using traditional yeast and flour. It takes about 30 minutes to make this crust alone. I was pleasantly surprised to really enjoy this Tiktok Stuffed Crust Pizza just as much as my mom’s!
Nutritional yeast and Greek yogurt both add protein to this crust. The yogurt keeps the dough moist and the baked crust tender and easy to chew. Nutritional yeast adds a little nutty flavor and more nutrients.
Drier than a buttery pan pizza from Pizza Hut, but more moist than a wood fired pizza because of the yogurt, this pizza crust is the perfect in between.
This crust only takes a few minutes longer than our go-to English Muffin Pizza Sliders and tastes like a restaurant quality meal at home.
Why This Recipe Works
- With a better taste and more budget friendly than frozen stuffed crust pizzas this makes a great family meal.
- Extra cheese stuffing means clean plates and no more pieces of crust going in the trash.
- This pizza is super easy and fun to make with the kids on a Friday night as you wind down from a busy week.
- Self-Rising Flour
- Nutritional Yeast
- Greek Yogurt – we use plain yogurt
- Cheese Sticks – mozzarella cheese sticks cut into three pieces each work best
- Italian Seasoning – a premixed combination of herbs adds a pop of flavor
- Pizza Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese – shredded cheese to top the pizza
- Pepperoni – Slices of pepperoni or your favorite toppings
How To Make The Stuffed Crust
In a medium sized mixing bowl stir together plain Greek yogurt, self-rising flour and nutritional yeast.
Start stirring with a wooden spoon. Once it gets difficult to make progress then mix together with your hands.
Add a generous coat of non-stick cooking spray to a round pizza pan.
Place ball of dough in the center of the pan. Or roll out on a counter top to prevent the dough sticking to the pan, but know that transferring the dough to the baking sheet can be a challenge.
Rolling the dough out on the pan will work well if the pan has no or very low edges.
Use a rolling pin to smooth out. If the edges start to come apart use your fingers to form as nice of a circle as possible.
Depending on the size of the pan this recipe may not cover the whole pan. Focus on forming a round pizza dough that is an even thickness.
The cut mozzarella cheese sticks into thirds. Arrange pieces of cheese in a circle about 1/2 and inch from the outer edge.
Roll the dough around the cheese sticks to form a stuffed crust.
Gently push the dough under the inner edge of the cheese stick to help seal the cheese into the crust.
Finish The Pizza
Spread a thin layer of sauce around the center of the pie.
Then add an even layer of cheese.
Finally add pepperonis or toppings of your choice.
Bake in a preheated oven to 375°F for 12 to 18 minutes until the crust is lightly golden brown.
Baking time will vary based on the thickness of the crust. This crust does seem to bake all the way through much easier than a traditional homemade pizza crust.
A 12″ Pan Is Best
This recipe works well to press a thin layer of crust towards the edges of a 12″ round pizza pan. With multiple tests we got the dough within a 1/2″ to 1″ of the edge of the pan.
Our dough is typically about 10″ across when spread into a circle.
Spread the dough as thin as you can without tearing and press or roll into an even layer.
A round pizza pan is not necessary, but does help serve as a guide to make a circular pizza.
I tested doubling the recipe and pressing into a 14″ pan including pushing up the sides to wrap around the cheese sticks. This homemade stuffed crust pizza tasted good, but was less enjoyable because the crust was a little too thick for our preference.
We enjoy a thinner layer of this crust with a medium amount of toppings. With a softer crust we typically eat it with a fork.
Recipe Tips And Tricks
- Start with 3/4 of a scant cup of self-rising flour to avoid having a dough that’s too dry.
- The dough takes some extra effort to mix, we always end up using our hands for best results.
- Rolling on the pizza pan is easiest for us, but grease generously to prevent the dough from sticking.
- This is the same size of pan we use to make Fruit Pizza and Chocolate Pizza.
- Baking time will vary as the thickness of the crust will likely vary a bit for each person.
- Here’s info on DIY self-rising flour using all-purpose, baking powder and salt.
More Easy Family Meal Ideas
BBQ Chip Fried Chicken makes the juiciest chicken tenders we’ve eaten!
Big Mac Smash Tacos combines a popular burger and taco into a delicious meal.
BBQ Kielbasa is great for sandwiches or snacking during a party.
Homemade Stuffed Crust Pizza
- 3/4 scant cup self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 10.6 ounces Greek yogurt
- 4 mozzarella cheese sticks
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Mix together flour, nutritional yeast and yogurt. Start with a firm wooden spoon and then finish with one hand to get a uniform mixture.
- Generously grease a 12" round pizza pan.
- Place dough in the center of the pan and roll out.
- The edges may start to crack, so use fingers to finish flattening and rounding out the dough.
- Cut cheese sticks into thirds and space evenly around the outer edge of the crust.
- Fold crust up and over the cheese sticks taking to seal the dough without adding a bulk of dough under the sticks.
- Add sauce, cheese, Italian seasoning and other toppings of your choice.
- Bake for 12 to 18 minutes. Check after 12 minutes as the thickness of the crust may vary.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.