Tender and ultra juicy this BBQ Chip Fried Chicken is full of flavor and has a wonderful coating of crunchy potato chips.
BBQ Chip Chicken Recipe
Barbecue potato chips create a hint of a smoky flavor with a crunchy coating on the most tender piece of chicken we’ve eaten. Trending on Tiktok, once you give them a try you’ll know why once you give them a try.
Frying in hot oil seals the moisture in to create ultra tender chicken strips. You can’t get chicken breast more tender than this because of the fast cooking method that seals in moisture keeping it all inside.
We also enjoy using the leftover chicken to top a simple salad or on our Chicken Parmesan Pizza.
Why This Recipe Works
- A great way to have some amazing fried chicken at home in under 30 minutes.
- Satisfies my husband’s craving for Raising Canes on a budget.
- Words don’t do justice for how juicy and tender this fried chicken really is!
- Just like our TikTok Cinnamon Rolls simple ingredients create a wonderful meal that you’ll want to make over and over.
- Chicken Breasts – boneless, skinless chicken breasts that are about a pound apiece are our preference.
- Potato Chips – We like Lays brand thin, not ruffled chips. A family sized bag is usually the best value. Thin chips are easier to crush up and stick better to the chicken.
- Paprika – After experimenting with whole smoked chicken paprika is our favorite chicken seasoning.
- Garlic Powder – Another flavor enhancer we love on meat.
- Granulated Onion – Onion powder works well too, but your favorite combination of spices is fine.
- Eggs – Stick to the chicken to create the glue that helps hold the chips on the outside.
- Vegetable Oil – Necessary to fry the chicken.
Do Other Flavors of Chips Work?
We have tested Cheddar and Sour Cream as well and Sour Cream and Onion. As long as you use a thin chip that crushes easily the results are delicious.
Our family expected to prefer the Sour Cream and Onion, but the Cheddar flavor was more prominent and enjoyable on the chicken.
How Long To Fry Chicken Tenders?
Chicken tenders that are around 1/4 of a pound fry in 365°F oil in 5 to 6 minutes.
Use a digital meat thermometer to check that the center of the chicken reaches 165°F.
How To Fry Potato Chip Chicken
We find that it is much easier to fry chicken in a deep fryer than in a skillet. There is a smaller opening which decreases splashing and splattering.
Cutting a large chicken breast that is about 1 pound or a little less fry faster when cut into fourths or chicken tender shapes.
We tested deep frying chicken tenders in a skillet submerged in oil and in a deep fryer. The deep fryer is much easier to use as you can set the oil temperature to 360F and it will remain at a steady heat. It is difficult to monitor the temperature of oil in a skillet.
Our mini deep fryer is also equipped with a basket which makes it much safer to use. In the skillet we notice that it is easy for the oil to get too hot, splash more, and is generally more difficult to handle relative to a deep fryer.
If managed properly and monitored closely a skillet could work just as well. Be sure to have a thermometer ready
Chicken is safe to eat when the thickest part has cooked all the way through to 165°F
What Does Poking Holes In Chicken Do?
Poking holes in the chicken lets the oil and heat penetrate to cook the chicken more evenly and quickly. Especially if there’s a bone, poking holes with a fork is significant in helping tenderizing the chicken.
Piercing the meat before frying also allows heat to get to the center more quickly, especially when using a whole chicken breast.
Step By Step Instructions
Slice chicken breasts that weigh roughly a pound into four evenly sized strips.
Use a fork to poke lots of holes in the chicken to help tenderize it.
Place chicken in a mixing bowl and season generously.
Add an egg for every 2 to 3 pounds of chicken.
Mix it all up until every side of each piece of chicken is coated well with seasoning.
A thin coat of egg is important too as that will help the chips to stick to the meat.
Finely crush potato chips. We find it is easiest to create a small opening in the chip bag to release air and crush the chips in the bag.
Pour chips into a flat dish and coat each side of the chicken.
Small pieces of chips are more likely to stick to the egg coated chicken than large pieces of chips.
Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer or skillet and hold at a steady 360℉.
Fully submerge the chicken for 5 to 7 minutes.
Use a digital thermometer to ensure that the chicken is cooked to 165℉ in the thickest part in the center.
Serve with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce as whole tenders or slice and spread over a salad.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Cut each breast into fourths as smaller pieces fry faster. Smaller pieces make it easier. toget the inside cooked as quickly as the outside.
- Chicken can be cut into smaller pieces, even nuggets but the frying time will need to be adjusted.
- Poke holes in top, bottom and sides, of the chicken, not just the top.
- We don’t season chicken with salt since there’s plenty in the chips.
- More uniform pieces of chicken are easier to cook than a typical breast with an uneven thickness, which is why we like to slice them up.
More Delicious Recipes With Chicken
Chicken Pot Pie Tater Tot Casserole has a layer of golden brown tater tots on top of a flavorful filling of chicken, corn, peas and carrots in gravy.
Swiss Chicken Casserole with Stuffing has 6 simple ingredients and takes less than 10 minutes to assemble.
Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Ranch makes great sandwiches and is delicious served alone.
Italian Baked Chicken has a simple tomato juice bath to add flavor.
BBQ Chicken Sliders is another great tailgate food or appetizer that we enjoy.
BBQ Chip Fried Chicken
- 5 pounds chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 eggs
- 15 ounces BBQ potato chips
- 2 – 4 cups vegetable oil
- Slice boneless, skinless chicken breasts into four equally sized, long strips.
- Use a fork to poke several holes in the top and bottom of the chicken.
- Coat generously with seasoning, beat eggs and stir seasoned chicken breasts up to coat with the eggs.
- Crush potato chips into fine pieces. Lay in a flat dish and coat each side.
- Deep fry chicken strips in a single layer in oil heated to 360℉ for 5 to 7 minutes until a digital thermometer reads 165℉.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes and serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.