Chicken breasts, Swiss cheese, creamy soup and stuffing bake together to tender perfection to create this Swiss Chicken Casserole recipe that our family loves!
Swiss Chicken Casserole Recipe
This hassle free meal of cream of chicken soup covers chicken breasts and is coated by Swiss cheese and stuffing can be assembled in under ten minutes.
I love the aroma coming from the oven as this Swiss Chicken Casserole bakes!
Faster than our Crock Pot Chicken and Stuffing as the oven version bakes in about an hour, but just as hearty and enjoyable we love have quick dinner options.
We only have time for easy recipes in our house and this Swiss chicken is simple enough to memorize.
Why This Swiss Chicken Recipe Works
- A strong Swiss cheese flavor compliments mild chicken well and the box of stuffing mix finishes out the meal in a single casserole dish.
- These ingredients are easy to keep on hand and toss together when you don’t know what to make for dinner.
- Baked Swiss chicken casserole has a golden brown finish that is easier to accomplish in the oven than in a slow cooker, but the recipe can be made with both methods.
- Chicken – We use boneless, skinless chicken breasts with the fat trimmed.
- Swiss Cheese – Slices are easiest to use. Shredded Swiss works fine, but may run down the sides of the chicken as it melts.
- Cream of Chicken Soup – Adds the signature creaminess that makes this dish memorable.
- Chicken Broth – Helps soften the stuffing.
- Stuffing – A box of stove top stuffing mix is our preference as the seasoning is all ready to go.
- Butter – Adds a richness to the casserole to help tie everything together.
How To Make Creamy Swiss Chicken Bake
Coat a 9 x 13″ baking dish with a layer of non-stick cooking spray and preheat oven to 350°F.
Trim chicken breasts and arrange in a single layer in the bottom of the casserole dish.
Add a layer of Swiss cheese slices. I like to use about two slices per chicken breast.
Stir together cream of chicken soup and chicken broth and pour over top of the chicken.
Finally pour a box of stuffing over top of the soup mixture.
Cover with foil and bake in an oven preheated to 350°F for 50 to 60 minutes until the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
Uncover the chicken for the final 10 minutes of baking to allow the stuffing to become golden brown on top.
- We like to slice chicken breasts in half or in thinner pieces after baking for a more reasonable size of serving.
- Once baked this chicken shreds easily with a fork to better mix in with the creamy stuffing mixture.
- This recipe inspired our Creamy Crock Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu which is similar and includes ham.
- Only use defrosted chicken breasts.
- Adding more chicken or another layer will increase the baking time.
More Delicious Family Meal
Crock Pot Dressing with Chicken makes a great main dish or side dish, especially at the holidays.
Cheesy Sausage and Potato Casserole is a classic casserole that mixes Kielbasa and hashbrowns together.
Ham and Alfredo mix together in this easy stove top meal and make a great way to use leftover holiday ham.
Swiss Chicken Casserole
- 4 pounds chicken breasts
- 6 ounces Swiss cheese
- 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 6 ounces stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and spray non-stick cooking spray in a 9 x 13" dish.
- Arrange trimmed chicken breasts in the pan.
- Lay cheese on top of the chicken.
- Mix together cream of chicken soup and chicken broth. Pour over the cheese and level out if needed.
- Sprinkle stuffing mix on top of the chicken, then pour melted butter over that.
- Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake until the stuffing is lightly brown and the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165℉.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.