Chocolatey with tender morsels and a cake like consistency this Homemade Brownies For A Crowd recipe is delicious!
This big batch of homemade brownies is a super easy dessert to mix up quickly and share with a crowd.
Big Batch of Brownies Recipe
My mom has made these brownies many times to feed our family and friends. When you have teenagers that go through tons of food this is a winning dessert recipe!
This simple recipe makes a chocolate treat that is dressed up in look and flavor with a light dusting of powdered sugar. The pan is emptied quickly every time we make this big baking sheet of brownies!
These brownies are a go-to recipe for bake sales, benefit auctions and large sports team meals. A large 12 x 17 baking sheet is the perfect size for this recipe. This is a very cost effective dessert that doesn’t sacrifice quality or flavor in any way to feed big groups on a budget.
I love how delicious these homemade brownies are, yet they only take about ten minutes to mix up. Only common ingredients that I always have on hand are needed. Another big batch dessert that we crave is our Raspberry German Crumb Cake Bars.
Why This Recipe Works:
- Our recipe is made in a half sheet pan (roughly 18 x 12 x 1″) to fit in a typical home oven. This recipe can easily be doubled with a larger mixer and full sized sheet pan to bake in a commercial oven for n even bigger batch.
- Can cut brownies into very small bites or bigger, more generous sized pieces for a group of people.
- The batter uses common ingredients and can be mixed up in ten minutes or less.
- If you have access to chickens or a lot of eggs these brownies are a great way to use a lot of eggs.
Ingredients Needed to Brownies For A Crowd:
- Powdered sugar, optional
- Nuts, optional
How to Make a Big Batch of Homemade Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease 12×17 baking sheet.
- Cream the butter and sugar; add vanilla. Mix in the eggs and beat well.
- Blend in dry ingredients and mix well.
- Bake 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar evenly on top.
Easy Homemade Brownies
This is one of those recipes that would be nice to have a bigger mixer, but my 4.5 quart Kitchen Aid mixer works fine. I just have to be careful not to run it too fast since the bowl gets pretty full and extra ingredients can get pushed out over the edge. Once all of the ingredients are moist the mixer speed can be turned up to finish more quickly.
Another nice touch to the brownies is using my OXO sifter to add a nice even layer of powdered sugar on top. I purchased the sifter with an Amazon gift card that I got for my birthday and I love it! Garnishing with powdered sugar isn’t required, but it is an easy way to dress up these basic brownies.
A sifter can help make a more even coating than other options like shaking confectioners sugar on with a spoon. The sifter will simply make the sugar covered brownies look better. Using other manual methods of sugar distribution will still taste great, but may not look as uniform. If you don’t have a sifter, don’t sweat it!
Step By Step Instructions
Cream butter and softened sugar. If using the microwave try not to melt all of the butter.
Cream well, then add vanilla.
Add those glorious eggs.
Stir again until mixture is creamy. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a silicone spatula.
In a separate mixing bowl sift together dry ingredients.
Slowly add to creamed mixture.
Stir it all up!
Admire the glorious chocolate batter.
Coat a 12 x 18 baking sheet generously with non-stick cooking spray and spread the batter out in an even layer.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in a preheated 350℉ oven. When a toothpick inserted in the center of the pan comes out clean the brownies are done baking.
Allow the brownies to cool for another 20 minutes and then sprinkle or use a sifter to spread powdered sugar over the top of the brownies.
Cut into desired sized pieces with a rubber coated spatula or carefully use a butter knife to avoid scratching the pan.
More Easy Dessert Recipes:
Here are a few more basic baking recipes that are often found on the farmhouse tables in our family:
We hope you enjoy these classic and easy dessert recipes as much as our family does!
Brownies For A Crowd
- 1-1/2 cups butter softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1-1/4 cup eggs 6-7 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups chopped nuts optional, I usually omit
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar optional
- Cream the butter and sugar; add vanilla.
- Mix in the eggs, beating well.
- Blend in dry ingredients. Pour mixture into a large, well greased 12×17 half sheet baking sheet. Bake at 350℉ for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Use a sifter to sprinkle powdered sugar evenly on top, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Originally posted October 29, 2018 with updates made on April 26, 2023.