Crispy on the outside and tender inside describes our delicious Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes recipe.
Sweet potatoes make a great side dish with maple syrup at breakfast. They taste great with your favorite seasonings or a balsamic drizzle for lunch or dinner.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
Air Fryer Sweet potato cubes are a canvas that compliment so many seasonings and flavorings. Salt and pepper are the most basic way to enjoy the natural sweetness from these vibrant orange sweet potatoes.
Other simple seasoning options for sweet potato cubes are to use your favorite spices like seasoned salt, cajun seasoning or Italian seasonings. Or drizzle with maple syrup, cinnamon and honey or balsamic reduction for a fancy taste that’s easy to make at home and save money on food.
Air fried sweet potato cubes make a great savory addition to breakfast. I love finding easy ways to eat more vegetables and incorporate more fiber into the first meal of the day.
How to Flavor Sweet Potato Cubes
Sweet potato cubes are a canvas that can be seasoned and flavored in a variety of ways. The options are truly endless.
- Drizzle with maple syrup for breakfast or a sweeter side dish to go with sandwiches.
- Use cajun seasoning, seasoned salt or your favorite blend of spices for party snacks or a side dish.
- A balsamic reduction is delightful to drizzle on sweet potato cubes as an appetizer.
Favorite Combinations of Spices
- Olive oil, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning
- Cajun seasoning and oil
- Olive oil, seasoned salt and oregano
- Avocado or olive oil, paprika, Kosher salt and black pepper
Cubes vs. Fries
Cubes are easier to cut, stir, air fry and serve and typically look consistent than fries.
Mini cubes are more popular for breakfast, but are great for any meal of the day!
My husband says cubes are more like a sweet potato version of a tater tot since the middle gets soft, but not crispy.
Air frying is the fastest way to make a sweet potato. The flavor is the same as roasting, but the preheating time is not necessary.
Roasting vs. Baking vs. Air Frying
Roasted sweet potatoes in the oven taste similar, but take more effort to turn more frequently to get air flow to all sides of the cubes. They also take longer to bake or roast in the oven due to preheating the oven.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Peel the skin and white layer underneath off until the entire potato is bright orange in color, trim off any dark spots or blemishes
- Put salt on after cooking
- Always toss or spray with some type of oil before air frying, roasting or baking, additional oil can be applied mid way through baking if the potatoes appear to be drying out, but still need to cook to become more tender inside
- 1/2″ to 3/4″ cubes are easiest to eat and cook, 1-inch cubes seem to be a bit too big, whatever size you choose make sure pieces are consistent
- Raw cubes can be prepared and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a day or two before baking.
How to Make Air Fried Sweet Potato Cubes
Add evenly sized 3/4″ sweet potato cubes to a medium sized mixing bowl. Drizzle olive oil over top. Sprinkle spices (not salt) over the top and toss gently.
Spread out over an air fryer tray allowing some space between each piece.
Air fry at 350°F for 10 – 12 minutes shaking once or twice to prevent sticking.
Potatoes are done cooking when beginning to lightly brown on the outside and tender on the inside.
Season with salt after cooking. Serve warm and enjoy!
How to Cut a Sweet Potato into Cubes
Only cut the potato in ways that feel safe. Make a flat surface with the first cut and lay the potato on the flat surface so the potato doesn’t roll away.
Continue making consistent, even cuts until all of the pieces are a similar size.
To make evenly sized fries or cubes, cut the ends off to square the pieces up. This will make the potato cubes easier to cook evenly and they will be more eye appealing.
I like to cook the odd size pieces in a separate batch so they don’t go to waste.
Why Don’t Sweet Potato Cubes Get Crispy
Sweet potato cubes need to be spaced out so air can move around every side to become crispy and avoid being soggy.
Why Are Sweet Potato Cubes Mushy?
Fresh and properly stored sweet potatoes have moisture inside that needs to cook out during the air frying or baking process. Using a moderate amount of olive oil or vegetable oil and allowing space for air to circulate will help make cubes more crispy.
Using an air fryer allows air to circulate around all sides of every piece where potatoes on a baking sheet need to be turned more times and more frequently to cook evenly.
Are Sweet Potatoes Healthy?
Sweet Potatoes are an orange colored root vegetable that are high in potassium, dietary fiber and other vitamins and minerals like Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 and magnesium.
Since sweet potatoes are high in carbs some people who watch what they eat enjoy them in moderation or limited amounts.
More Delicious Sweet Potato Recipes
Duchess Sweet Potatoes will add a little pizazz to your plate.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar is a great variation for the oven.
Sweet Potato Pie is always popular at the holidays.
Baked Sweet Potato Chips make a great snack.
Printable Recipe for Sweet Potato Cubes
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2" to 3/4" cubes.
- In a mixing bowl toss potato cubes with oil and other seasonings (not salt).
- Spread out evenly on an air fryer basket. Air fry for 5 – 7 minutes at 350°F.
- Shake the tray and air fry for an additional 5 minutes until potatoes are lightly browned on the outside and tender inside.
- Season with salt and drizzle with maple syrup. Serve warm and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.