Tender sweet potatoes with a pineapple juice, orange zest and brown sugar glaze sprinkled with chopped nuts are absolutely irresistible!
This Citrus Glazed Sweet Potato Casserole can be made ahead of time and is a regular side on our family’s Thanksgiving table!
Glazed Sweet Potato Casserole
The honey, orange and pineapple flavors enhance these sweet potatoes in a way that will please your tastebuds and leave you craving more veggies. Coming from a meat and potatoes family this is one of the best side dishes served on our farmhouse table!
Brown sugar adds a candied flavor that is wonderful yet gentle in this casserole. For a strong brown sugar crunch try our Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole or for a lighter candied dish our Sweet Potato Souffle.
These or our Maple Glazed Sweet Potatoes are my favorite ways to eat sweet potatoes. My mom has been making these potatoes to share with our family at Thanksgiving for years because this is the best recipe and she has tested several! You can also expect to find her Broccoli Mushroom Casserole and Farmhouse Mashed Potatoes at all of the holidays too.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Glaze
- Brown sugar
- Pineapple juice
- Orange zest
Brown Sugar Glazed Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Boil sweet potatoes until skin starts to loosen. As soon as you can stick a fork in to almost the center of the potato remove from the heat and drain. Allow to cool before peeling and slicing into a coin shape.
- Arrange in a baking dish that is slightly smaller than a 9×13 baking dish for best results and maximum glaze coverage. Potatoes can also be put in two smaller dishes if needed. Gently fan potatoes out a bit to look pretty and also allow more surface area to be exposed and glazed!
- In a medium saucepan mix all glaze ingredients together and stir often over medium heat. Allow mixture to gently bubble for about 1 minute before pouring evenly over the potatoes.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for 8 hours up to 2 days.
- Allow dish to set on the counter and warm up for at least 30 minutes before placing in a cold oven. Set oven to 350°F with dish in the oven and bake until warm in the center. I use a digital thermometer and test that they’ve reached about 140°F in the center which means they are warmed through.
Tips & Tricks
- Choose your sweet potatoes carefully, long thinner ones will boil and slice much easier than extra wide potatoes
- Nuts are best finely chopped and can be sprinkled on top before or after refrigerating the casserole
- We enjoy walnuts, but chopped pecans are also popular and pair well with sweet potatoes
- Potatoes can be cubed after boiling and peeling if desired as that may be easier than slicing – although sliced potatoes do create a beautiful dish
- 3 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes is about 5 to 6 medium sweet potatoes
- Potatoes can be prepared and refrigerated up to two days before baking and serving
How to Make Glazed Sweet Potatoes
Gently boil sweet potatoes until just tender. My pot is pretty full when 3 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes are covered with water, so I boil on low to avoid the pot boiling over.
Sweet potatoes should be just barely fork tender to the center. If they get too tender and mushy then they become mashed potatoes when you slice them.
The ones pictured below are from my first attempt at this recipe and they tasted delicious but absolutely did not work for this recipe!
Once peeled put potatoes out on a cutting board and slice into 1/2″ slices.
Carefully transfer potatoes into a baking dish in rows with the pieces slightly fanned out. The more surface area that each piece of potato reveals the more sweet glaze it can carry to your tastebuds!
For the little narrow ends I usually just eat those or give them to the kids to snack on
I love that making the glaze is so easy! Just add all of the glaze ingredients into a saucepan and turn on medium heat.
Make sure you’ve got a whisk, wooden spoon or stirring utensil handy when you turn the heat on because you need to stir frequently.
Stir gently and often to prevent the ingredients from burning. Once the glaze begins to bubble stir constantly for another minute.
Once the glaze is done pour over top of those beautiful sliced (or cubed if you prefer) sweet potatoes in a casserole dish (or two).
Finely chop up some nuts of choice and sprinkled on top.
Cover and refrigerate for 8 to 48 hours. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes until warmed through. Serve warm and enjoy!
Other Delicious Potato Recipes
- Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes are a classic mashed potato recipe with a garlic flair!
- Cheesy Potatoes for a Crowd will feed 50 to 100 people with a simple recipe that the crowd always enjoys.
- Make Ahead Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes make busy holidays easier by getting the potatoes made the day before and the mess can be cleaned up before the party!
- Smoked Sausage & Cheesy Potato Casserole make one of the best comfort food casserole recipes our family has!
- Creamy Potato Bake starts with mashed potatoes, but tastes super delicious and saves so much time!
Printable Citrus Glazed Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Citrus Glazed Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes about 5-6 medium sized potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup walnuts finely chopped
- Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water 20 to 25 minutes or until just barely fork tender. Be sure not to overcook potatoes as they can become too soft.
- Drain potatoes and allow to cool to touch. Peel and cut into 1/2" slices. Arrange potatoes in rows in a 12 x 8 x 2" baking dish and set aside.
- Combine all other ingredients in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until begins to boil, boil 1 minute. Continue stirring constantly until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Pour glaze over potatoes and sprinkle with finely chopped nuts.
- Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator, let stand 30 minutes prior to baking. If dish is still cold place in oven before turning it on. Turn oven to 350°F and bake for about 30 minutes until potatoes are warmed through.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.