This is the ULTIMATE loaded sweet potato casserole recipe! This is one of the best Thanksgiving side dish recipes because it tastes SO good!
Some co-workers shared this recipe with me years ago and I’ve taken it to many family gatherings since.
Loaded Sweet Potato Casserole
A big Thanksgiving or Christmas meal just isn’t complete without special treats like this loaded sweet potato casserole. I wasn’t even a fan of sweet potatoes until I tried this recipe. It’s that good!
The sweet and creamy sweet potatoes couldn’t get any better until you add this delectable, crumbly butter, brown sugar, and pecan topping that tastes like candy when it’s baked.
Our family is split on whether to use the pecans in the crumbly, candy topping or leave them out. Whatever your preference, that’s a pretty easy change to make and it won’t affect the overall taste of the dish. My husband’s family has a similar Sweet Potato Souffle recipe where they use walnuts on top. My mom prefers to use a glaze in her Citrus Glazed Sweet Potato Casserole. All of these recipes are super delicious and make sweet potatoes taste even better!
Knowing that food safety is very important to keep in mind when preparing big meals I keep the mashed potatoes warm and at a safe temperature while doing my other work. Adding a little extra milk and butter will help the potatoes hold and stay moist if needed.
We also like this recipe because we mashed some extra potatoes to keep aside and feed the baby. She is just starting to eat food and it is messy and fun! Feeding her these sweet potatoes reminded me that it might be time to pick up a mat to protect our rug and wood floor.
The pictures don’t do this recipe justice. You’ve really got to try it for yourself!
How to Make Loaded Sweet Potato Casserole
- Boil and mash peeled and chunked sweet potatoes
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish and preheat oven to 350°F
- Mix sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla and milk into potatoes and spread in an even layer in the baking dish
- Mix the crumbly topping ingredients together: melted butter, sugar, flour and chopped pecans. The mixture should be crumbly. Sprinkle as evenly as possible over potatoes.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until the topping is lightly browned. Cover with foil and keep in warming drawer on medium or low for up to two hours if needed.
FARMHOUSE SIDE DISHES FOR THANKSGIVING
Here are a few other classic recipes that we enjoy at Thanksgiving. We hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
- Grandma’s Farmhouse Dressing
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Easy Creamy Mashed Potatoes – Farmhouse Style
- Crock Pot Loaded Red Potatoes
- Easy Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Farmhouse Loaded Potatoes
We hope you enjoy these meals as much as we do!
Printable Loaded Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes 3 c. mashed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 T. vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Boil and mash potatoes. Mix in next 5 ingredients. Put in a greased 13x9" baking dish.
- Mix remaining (crumbly topping) ingredients. Sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.