Our Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes recipe with the skin-on taste fancy like a steakhouse side dish, but are homemade and easy enough to make any day of the week.
Butter and sour cream or cream cheese are added to create the best creamy mashed red potatoes our family eats!
Garlic Red Skin Mashed Potatoes
My husband said this recipe reminds him of a special meal at a nice restaurant. I’m not going to be the one to tell that using red potatoes saves time peeling and are easier to make! Just let him believe special and fancier means more time working in the kitchen for the good of our family…wink, wink.
Mashed potatoes made from scratch are a staple on our farm family’s table. We typically enjoy this traditional Farmhouse Mashed Potato Recipe, but when we want to make the meal a little fancier we like to use red potatoes and freshly minced garlic.
These mashed red potatoes are also a super easy side dish to take along to a family Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter dinner. Sometimes a simple recipe is one of the most popular. If you want to dress up your red potatoes a bit more try our Loaded Smashed Potato Casserole or Crock Pot Loaded Red Potatoes.
Butter is a must in any mashed potato recipe for us. The combination of butter, sour cream, and milk makes really creamy mashed potatoes. Pats of butter are also great when reheating potatoes or preparing Make Ahead Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes or Creamy Potato Bake with Instant Potatoes. The same principle can be used to convert this recipe to a make-ahead potato recipe too!
- Sour cream can easily be substituted for cream cheese for a little bit richer flavor.
- A bit more milk may need to be added to keep the potatoes soft and creamy if cream cheese is used in place of sour cream.
- A potato masher may help mash the potatoes if you prefer not to use an electric mixer.
Should Red Potatoes Be Washed?
Anything grown in or near the ground has the potential to carry organisms that live in the dirt on its skin, so I always wash my fruit and veggies before eating them. Even when the container or bag says pre-washed I still like to give them a good rinse.
I have a good dishwasher safe potato scrub brush that I keep in my utensil drawer. Even when the potatoes look clean its best to use a small scrub brush for another wash and rinse.
What Are Red Potatoes Good For?
Red potatoes make great smaller servings in the form or roasted or smashed potatoes. Leaving the skin on makes red potatoes easier to prepare and gives the dish a heartier flavor.
Our favorite red potato recipes include air fryer red potatoes and Red Potato Ranch Casserole as well as the casseroles listed above.
What Can Be Mixed in Garlic Mashed Potatoes?
- Cheddar and mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- More butter
- More sour cream or cream cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- Green onions or chives
Do Red Potatoes Need Peeled?
When red potatoes are washed and cut into cubes that are 1 1/2″ or smaller they do not need to be peeled as long as an electric mixer is used to mash them on medium-high speed.
Using red potatoes saves time and gives the side dish an upscale taste and feel.
How to Make Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes
- Wash red potatoes and chop into 1 1/2″ pieces. Quarter red potatoes at a minimum so the pieces of skin aren’t too big.
- Boil potatoes until tender and they fall off a fork when pierced. Use a colander to drain well.
- In a large mixing bowl mash potatoes with an electric mixer. Potatoes should be fairly smooth, but using skin on potatoes will never be as smooth as peeled potatoes.
- Mix in butter, minced fresh garlic, olive oil, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper.
- If potatoes are too stiff add a little more milk. Add pats of butter on top of red mashed potatoes before reheating.
- Garnish with paprika, more freshly ground pepper, chives, green onions or bacon bits if desired.
Other Delicious Potato Recipes:
- Garlic Parmesan Fries have similar flavors and make a more casual snack or side dish.
- Farmhouse Loaded Potatoes
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Bacon & Cheese Loaded French Fries
- Loaded Baked Potato Bar
- Citrus Glazed Sweet Potato Casserole
Printable Garlic Mashed Red Potato Recipe
Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes
- 3 pounds red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper freshly ground
- Wash red potatoes and cut into 1 1/2" cubes or smaller. Boil potatoes until they fall off a fork. Drain water off potatoes.
- Using an electric mixer beat all ingredients until smooth. Add a little more milk or butter if too stiff.
- Garnish with paprika, black pepper or chives if desired.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.