Buttery golden brown corn flakes top creamy potatoes with plenty of cheese to make this tasty Red Potato Casserole.
Red potatoes make a nice side dish for a party or get together when loaded with bacon, cheese and buttery cornflakes. These wonderful flavors are sure to please your guests!
Red Potato Casserole Recipe
Red potatoes are constantly on our menu. We started with Crock Pot Loaded Red Potatoes, then made Loaded Smashed Potato Casserole, now we can’t stop thinking about the flavor that ranch dressing packs in this casserole!
I also love the crunch and contrast that cornflakes add when sprinkled on top! A few common ingredients mixed together makes a memorable casserole.
Red potatoes tossed in sour cream, ranch, bacon and cheddar cheese topped with more cheese and buttery cornflakes is delicious! These flavors go great with a basic salad and meat like Farmhouse Meatloaf or Applesauce Meatballs.
We also love using red potatoes to make simple and classic Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes.
Cheesy Red Potato Casserole
Our family raises pigs, turkeys, and cattle for pork, turkey and beef. We are meat eaters and potatoes are the classic side dish. So we’ve made a wide variety of potato sides dishes over the years. We found this recipe in a farm magazine and adapted it to fit our family’s needs
We have a family debate going in our house about this potato casserole. My husband thinks the recipe is perfect. He loves the ranch accent and how well all of the flavors compliment each other. I think the recipe needs a little more bacon and cheese.
If your palate prefers more savory cheese and bacon then be sure to give this Twice Baked Potato Casserole. That’s how we handle kitchen conflict resolution in our house, keep a variety of great recipes on hand and take turns making them all!
Why This Recipe Works
- This loaded red potato casserole is perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and other celebrations in between.
- Add a couple of cups of cooked and cubed or shredded chicken to the creamy potato mixture for a heartier main dish.
- Bacon, cheese and ranch make potatoes better and so much more memorable. People love the flavors!
- A nice twist on a typical potato casserole for special meals.
- Red Potatoes – 6 to 8 medium potatoes work well, we like to use 8 for the full recipe.
- Sour Cream – adds a richness and creaminess.
- Ranch Dressing – more creamy amazingness with wonderful herb flavors.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese –
- Bacon – baked and crumbled or chopped is my favorite, but a package of bacon bits can work well too.
- Corn Flakes – Add a nice crunch to every soft, creamy bite.
- Butter – Softens the corn flakes and helps them turn a beautiful golden brown while baking.
Step By Step Instructions
Wash red potatoes and cut into large bite sized pieces.
One medium potato will make about 1 cup of chunks on average.
Cook in boiling water until potatoes are tender for about 20 – 25 minutes. When potatoes are almost done preheat oven to 350F.
Measure corn flakes and pour into a mixing bowl that’s big enough to coarsely crush them with a spoon or your fingers.
Melt butter and pour over the cornflakes. Stir and set aside so the cereal can absorb the butter.
In a medium sized mixing bowl add fork tender cooked and drained potatoes.
Add sour cream and ranch dressing. Mix well.
Then add half of the shredded cheddar cheese and chopped bacon. Mix again.
Spread into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with a coat of non-stick cooking spray.
Top with remaining cheese.
Then sprinkle the cornflake mixture over the casserole.
Bake uncovered for 20 – 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and the corn flakes are golden brown.
Serve warm right away and enjoy!
Storage & Handling
This casserole tastes best served warm right out of the oven. The cornflakes taste best the first time and don’t reheat quite as well as you hope.
The creamy potato mixture can be made ahead and refrigerated. Just before baking sprinkle the buttery corn flakes over the top.
Only sprinkle corn flakes on the portion of casserole that you think may be eaten at the first meal. Then the pieces without cereal will reheat well!
More Memorable Potato Recipes:
Here are a few other of our favorite potato side dishes that we hope you enjoy as much as we do!
- Farmhouse Loaded Potatoes
- Easy Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Farmhouse Potato Salad
- Smoked Sausage & Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Chicken & Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Crock Pot Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Bacon Potato Puff
- Loaded Baked Potato Bar
- Scalloped Potatoes & Ham
Red Potato Casserole
- 8 medium red potatoes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup ranch
- 1/4 cup bacon crumbled
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups corn flakes slightly crushed
- 5 tablespoons butter melted
- Wash potatoes and cut into large bite size pieces. Boil potatoes until tender.
- Combine cornflakes and melted butter, set aside for cornflakes to absorb butter.
- Mix potatoes with sour cream, ranch, bacon and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Spread into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese. Sprinkle cornflake mixture over casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 20 – 30 minutes until cheese is melted and corn flakes are golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe originally shared February 19, 2019 with pictures updated on June 12, 2023.