Sausage, hash browns, Bisquick, eggs and cheese mixing together to create a very satisfying breakfast casserole. This is a classic Farmer’s Breakfast that is hearty and memorable!
Make this the best breakfast casserole recipe you’ve enjoyed by drizzling each piece with warm maple syrup!
Breakfast Casserole with Sausage & Hashbrowns
My favorite part of this Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole is when it’s served with syrup it reminds me of a sausage McGriddle from McDonalds. Enjoy with some fresh fruit and a glass of milk or orange juice and you’ve got a great breakfast or brunch ready in one dish.
We have several wonderful breakfast casseroles with eggs and cheese. This version features biscuit mix and potatoes for a hearty dish. When it is baked in an 8×8 square pan each slice is thick and delicious.
The first and most basic breakfast casserole is our Brioche, Egg & Sausage Casserole. Adding cream of mushroom soup creates our Sausage and Egg Bake and using bacon creates our Bacon Breakfast Casserole.
For dinner we enjoy a similar Smoked Sausage and Cheesy Potato Casserole with lots of cheese. I like how this breakfast casserole has so many different flavors that come together with the sausage and potatoes.
The Bisquick gives a pancake-like feel to the dish which makes is perfect for breakfast. But don’t limit yourself to breakfast alone because we make this Egg & Sausage Casserole and Everything Bagel & Sausage Casserole for dinner sometimes too.
My husband shares that the potatoes blend better with this breakfast casserole than other versions he has eaten. He likes how the bisquick and syrup add a little sweetness to start your day.
How to Make Sausage, Hashbrown & Egg Casserole
Lightly coat an 8-inch square pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Cook and crumble sausage along with the chopped onion. I find using a meat masher makes this job so much easier, especially to make small crumbles of meat that blend well in a casserole dish.
Sausage can be refrigerated until casserole is ready to mix up or it can be stirred directly into the hash browns and poured in the baking dish.
Sprinkle cheese into the mixture and stir gently.
Whisk together biscuit mix (I keep Bisquick on hand), milk and eggs. A whisk makes scrambling the eggs and breaking up all of the clumps of biscuit mix easiest.
Pour this mixture evenly over the sausage and hashbrowns.
Bake in a 400°F for 45 – 55 minutes uncovered. The casserole is done when a knife inserted in the center come out clean.
Variations of Sausage & Hash Brown Casserole
- A pound of bacon can be substituted for the sausage
- Serving with warm maple syrup totally changes this flavor of this casserole
- Bisquick can be cut in half or omitted to cut down on pancake flavor
- Another layer of cheese can be added on top (bake covered) if planning to serve without syrup
- The number of eggs and amount of potatoes can be increased and baked in a larger pan
- Casserole can be baked in a 9×13 inch pan for a much thinner casserole that bakes in about 30 – 40 minutes
- An uncovered casserole with brown nicely on top, to prevent browning cover with foil for the first half or all of the baking time
More Delicious Casseroles to Enjoy:
- Cheesy Bacon & Potato Casserole is a classic cheesy potato casserole with bacon added in.
- Crock Pot Cauliflower Casserole is loaded with bacon and cheese to make a great side dish or an entire meal all by itself.
- Crock Pot Twice Baked Potato Casserole amps up the flavor of potatoes with cheese, bacon and more.
- Chicken & Twice Baked Potato Casserole is another hearty one dish meal that is always delicious.
Sausage Hashbrown Casserole
- 1 pound sausage cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 2 1/2 cups frozen hash browns
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup biscuit mix
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Cook sausage and onion until sausage is browned; drain.
- Mix sausage, onions and potatoes in baking dish.
- Whisk together biscuit mix, salt, milk and eggs. Pour evenly over potato mixture in baking dish and bake uncovered for 45 to 55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve with warm maple syrup if desired.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.