These Oatmeal Cocoa Chippers are the best chocolate oatmeal cookie I’ve ever eaten! The cocoa and chocolate make these cookies rich and the oatmeal makes the cookies chewy. Our entire family craves these cookies!
How to Make Oatmeal Cocoa Chipper Cookies
My mom shared this recipe because it was one of my brother’s favorites growing up. She has made many dozen for basketball teams, sports banquets, and other gatherings. I honestly don’t remember eating them, but after trying them we made two batches in one week!
My son made the first batch of Oatmeal Cocoa Chippers and he learned it’s really important to mix all of the smooth ingredients well before adding the coarse ingredients like oats and chocolate chips. He shared that he will always make sure the dough is mixed well and then add the chocolate chips last in the future.
Chocolate Oatmeal Easter Cookies
I made another batch and experimented with flavors. Mix up all of the dough, except the chips and scoop onto the cookie sheet. Add an additional chocolate candy or chips of your choosing.
Cadbury eggs taste great on top for Easter cookies.
We experimented with sprinkling both semi-sweet chocolate chips and white chocolate chips on top. Both tasted great, but our family prefers the original recipe with semi-sweet chocolate chips.
This Oatmeal Cocoa Chippers Cookie recipe can be easily adapted to make cookies for any holiday!
Tips for Making Oatmeal Cocoa Chipper Cookies
- Use softened butter, not cold butter and not melted butter, so the dough mixes well
- Mix all ingredients except oatmeal and chips well before adding the coarse ingredients
- Add oatmeal and mix well, finally add chips and mix well
- Omit chocolate chips from the recipe and top cookie dough with a seasonal candy appropriate for the holiday
- Use Cadbury eggs to make Easter cookies
- Use Andes Mints to make St. Patrick’s Day cookies with a mint flavor
Printable Recipe for Oatmeal Cocoa Chippers
Oatmeal Cocoa Chippers
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt optional
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups quick oats
- 12 ounce semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In small bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large mixer bowl, combine margarine, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla.
- Beat until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture. Add oatmeal. Mix well.
- Stir in chocolate chips and nuts if using.
- Use a cookie dough scoop to make balls. Place onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Makes 4 dozen cookies.