The best cookies with a rich chocolate flavor are these Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookies! This chocolate cookie recipe is a perfect addition to any Christmas cookie tray or to enjoy any day of the year!
Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookie Recipe
Smooth Ghirardelli chocolate morsels with a rich flavor, melted Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate and premium cocoa creates a decadent flavor that will satisfy any craving.
Large chocolate chips or premium chocolate chunks make a big difference in the triple chocolate experience and create a gooey chocolate explosion when biting into the chewy cookies.
We’ve got several double chocolate cookies from our Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies, Farmhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Peanut Butter Cup and Chocolate Chip Cookies. Using premium decadent chocolate and three kinds of it to take a chocolate cookie to the next level!
The sugar-coated exterior wraps around a chewy interior filled with premium chocolate flavors to make every bit impressive.
These cookies are perfect for Christmas or a Valentine’s Day treat or when you’re just craving a premium chocolate dessert. Get your chocolate fix and freeze the extras to enjoy all of the chocolatey goodness for several more days.
Tips for Making Triple Chocolate Cookies
- When melting the semisweet chocolate break or chop into somewhat evenly sized pieces and do NOT burn when melting. Stir often and microwave for short intervals (no more than :15 to :30 seconds).
- Use premium ingredients listed for the best results, cutting corners will affect the quality of the finished product.
- Do not substitute margarine for butter use the real thing for best results.
- Only apply a light coat of sugar to the dough. A little is a nice enhancement and too much can taste gritty and too sweet.
How to Make Triple Chocolate Cookies
Chop up or break up bar of semisweet chocolate, we prefer Ghirardelli.
Place chocolate pieces in a glass bowl and melt in the microwave. Stir every 30 seconds and stop when the mixture is smooth and melted. Be careful not to burn the chocolate.
Mix the dry ingredients together.
Using an electric mixer beat the butter and then add dark brown sugar and beat on medium speed for about three minutes.
The key for this point in the recipe to ensure ingredients are really well mixed and then mix a little longer.
After mixing the brown sugar and butter for what feels like forever (3 minutes). Add the egg and mix for another 3 minutes. Use a spatula to scrape down the edges of the bowl a few times to ensure the mixture is mixed well.
Then add vanilla and melted chocolate and mix again.
Slowly add dry ingredients and mix on low speed until combined.
Then fold in those large Ghirardelli chocolate chips or another premium brand of chocolate chunks. And just admire it because this triple chocolate cookie is beautiful!
Prep stations to drop the dough into a bowl of sugar, roll the dough into a ball and gently coat with sugar.
Rolling the dough in sugar gives the cookies a more interesting texture to the cookie.
Place on a baking sheet with a non-stick liner (or line with parchment paper) and lightly flatten with your hand.
Bake in a 325°F oven for 10 – 12 minutes. Once the cookies just begin to crack remove from the oven and let them cool on the sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cool rack.
Serve warm with milk and enjoy!
If for some crazy reason you have any extras freeze in a self sealing freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Other Delicious Cookie Recipes
- Homemade M&M Cookies are fun and colorful and perfect to enjoy any day of the year!
- No-Bake Orange Peanut Butter Cookies make a small batch of quick and easy cookies while adding a fruity balance to your cookie tray.
- Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Icing are a fall favorite to enjoy with a cup of coffee.
- Raspberry Jam Thumbprint Cookies are one of my favorites; a dollop of raspberry jam in an oatmeal cookie is amazing!
Printable Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookie Recipes
Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate use premium brand like Ghirardelli
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder use premium brand like Ghirardelli
- 1 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups large chocolate chips use premium brand like Ghirardelli
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Chop or break semisweet chocolate bar into evenly sized pieces and put in a small glass bowl. Microwave for 30 second intervals and stir each time until smooth and melted. Set aside to cool.
- In a seperate mixing bowl whisk or sift flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter until smooth. Add brown sugar and beat on medium speed about 3 minutes. Pause occassionall to scrape sides of bowl.
- Add egg and beat for 3 more minutes.
- Stir in vanilla and melted chocolate.
- Gradually mix in flour on low speed.
- Fold in large chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and prepare baking sheets with a non-stick liner OR line with parchment paper.
- Place sugar in a small bowl and drop balls of cookie dough into bowl. Roll into a ball between your hands and roll ball in sugar to coat.
- Place balls of dough on baking sheet and flatten slightly with your hand. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes until cookies just begin to crack.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.