Red jello with a warm festive cinnamon flavor and crunch from apples, celery and nuts creates the best Red Jello Salad for the holidays.
Red Hot Jello
Festive flavors with red cherry gelatin are perfect for the Christmas dessert table. Red Hot Jello salad is a vintage recipe that is super easy to make.
The red hot cinnamon candy flavor stands out the most and is complimented by the sweet apples. I appreciate that this salad can be made a couple days ahead of time to save time during the holidays.
A smooth and jiggly texture is made more interesting by adding finely chopped apples, celery and walnuts or pecans. These add-ins are all optional but do make this dessert salad more captivating!
My grandma always made one of her signature jello salads for the holidays. Whether it was this one with cinnamon imperial candy, Cherry Coke Jello Salad, a Cranberry Jello Mold, or 7-Up Jello Salad we always had a jello concoction to try.
Whether you use a jello salad mold or pour the warm mixture in a bowl to set this congealed dessert salad is bright and beautiful.
Another popular green jello salad we make is our Lime Jello Salad with Cottage Cheese.
- Cherry gelatin
- Red hot candy
- Boiling water
- Nuts – walnuts or pecans
Is a Jello Mold Necessary?
You do not have to use a jello mold to make a jello salad. A bowl of your choosing and a lid or piece of plastic wrap to cover it works just fine.
Growing up I saw jello salads served in decorative glass bowls at the holidays.
Tips & Tricks
- Apples may be replaced with applesauce for a smoother salad
- I use a single cup Keurig to heat water. This works well for the jello and needs to be used immediately and possibly microwaved an additional time or two to melt red hot candy
- Finely chop apples and celery to maximize flavor and texture in every bite
- Your favorite flavor of chopped nuts work well in this recipe – we typically use walnuts or pecans
- Even if you don’t typically use chopped nuts in recipes walnuts or pecans make a great addition.
- Cut Jello salad with any knife or metal serving utensil. Jello salad is very easy to cut even when it is filled with fruit.
- Serve with whipped cream or Cool Whip and enjoy!
How to Make Red Jello
Chop apples, celery and nuts if using. Set aside.
Use one cup of boiling water to dissolve jello. Use remaining half cup of boiling water to dissolve red hots.
Mix all ingredient in a medium bowl. Stir well and pour into pan mold or bowl.
Cover mixture and refrigerate until set which is about two hours.
More Delicious Dessert Salads:
Orange Jello Salad has mandarin oranges and crushed pineapple mixed into orange gelatin and topped with a Cool Whip and vanilla pudding frosting.
Watergate Salad has colorful mini marshmallows mixed with Cool Whip, pistachio pudding and crushed pineapple.
Orange Fluff Jello Salad features tapioca pudding along with other traditional fluff salad ingredients.
Red Jello Salad
- 3 ounces cherry gelatin
- 1/4 cup red hot candy
- 1 cup apples finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/2 cup nuts chopped
- Dissolve gelatin in one cup of boiling water.
- Dissolve red hots in half a cup of boiling water.
- Stir all ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Pour into a jello mold, bowl or square pan. Cover and refrigerate about two hours until firm.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.