Sirloin steak is cut into small pieces and mixed with baby bella mushrooms in a skillet meal that is delicious! Steak Tips with Peppered Mushroom Gravy is a simple yet flavorful skillet dinner recipe that tastes like restaurant quality.
Beef with Mushroom Recipe
Each meaty bite is bursting with big beefy flavor. The gravy adds so much moisture and the starch makes the meal more filling. Plates are always clean and bellies are happy!
Shallots and onions make a base for a rich gravy to coat each morsel of beef. I’m not a traditional gravy lover, but this brown sauce is amazing!
This is the type of meal I love to order in a restaurant, and now I love being able to make it at home in under 30 minutes.
My husband says this meal is like beef and noodles with a higher quality. There is a depth of dimension to each bite that makes this beef skillet meal feel really special.
We typically use beef that we raise on the farm. I also like to purchase Certified Angus Beef at the grocery store which supports other family farms and ranches. I recently shared more about beef ranches and the sustainability of beef in my Cream Cheese & Beef Stuffed Shells recipe.
Tips & Tricks
- Use kitchen shears or a very sharp knife to cut steak into 3/4″ pieces
- Cut steak tips into evenly sized pieces for even cooking
- Remove and discard any large strips of fat
- Smaller pieces of steak allow for more flavorful coating on the outside
- White mushrooms may be used, but we prefer baby Bella mushroom slices for a heartier, deeper flavor.
- Have all ingredients chopped, sliced and sitting by the stove when you begin this recipe as it will move quickly at some points
- I like to use a Keurig coffee maker to heat water and stir Better than Bouillon into the hot water to make my broth.
- Have a wooden spoon handy and be prepared to stir the skillet often.
How to Make Beef Tips with Gravy
Cut sirloin steak or other lean cut of beef into 3/4″ inch cubes.
Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and turn to medium-high heat. Brown beef tips on all sides. Turn often until all sides are brown.
Set aside on a clean plate and cover.
Add butter to the skillet and saute shallots and sliced mushrooms over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another minute.
Add soy sauce to the skillet and then sprinkle flour over the mushrooms. Stir to coat.
Season with salt and pepper. Add a few sprigs of thyme to the pan if desired.
Stir often. Add a little bit of broth. Then stirring constantly continue to add broth slowly. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened which takes about 2 minutes.
Once gravy has thickened add steak bites back to the skillet. Stir into gravy and cook until warmed through.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
More Easy & Delicious Beef Recipes:
Bacon Cheeseburger Sliders take a classic American meal and add a sweet glaze to the slider rolls.
Cube Steak with Gravy is covered generously with mushroom gravy and cooked until tender in the crock pot or oven.
Baked Mostaccioli is a classic casserole that is easy and delicious with sausage or ground beef.
Hearty Beef Stew is a super delicious classic meal my mom has made for years!
Steak Tips with Peppered Mushroom Gravy
- 1 pound Sirloin steak cut into 3/4" cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots finely chopped
- 8 ounces Baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Koshor salt
- Fresh Thyme sprigs
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Add steak and saute 5 minutes turning often to brown on all sides.
- Set beef aside and cover with foil.
- Melt butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and mushrooms; saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute an additional minute.
- Add soy sauce to skillet, then sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture. Stir until mushrooms are coated.
- Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Add a few thyme sprigs if desired.
- Bring mixture to a boil and cook until thickened. Continue to stir constantly. Add beef to skillet and heat entire mixture.
- Discard thymy sprigs and serve warm with noodles or mashed potatoes.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.