Steak Tips with Peppered Mushroom Gravy is a simple yet flavorful skillet dinner recipe that tastes like restaurant quality.
Beef with Mushroom Recipe
Sirloin steak is cut into small pieces and mixed with baby bella mushrooms in a skillet meal that is delicious! Each bite is bursting with flavor. Plates are always clean and bellies are happy!
Shallots and onions make a base for a rich gravy to coat each morsel of beef. I’m not a traditional gravy lover, but this brown sauce is amazing!
This is the type of meal I love to order in a restaurant, and now I love being able to make it at home in under 30 minutes.
My husband says this meal is like beef and noodles with a higher quality. There is a depth of dimension to each bite that makes this beef skillet meal feel really special.
We typically use beef that we raise on the farm. I also like to purchase Certified Angus Beef at the grocery store which supports other family farms and ranches. I recently shared more about beef ranches and the sustainability of beef in my Cream Cheese & Beef Stuffed Shells recipe.
Tips & Tricks
- Use kitchen shears or a very sharp knife to cut steak into 3/4″ pieces
- Cut steak tips into evenly sized pieces for even cooking
- Remove and discard any large strips of fat
- Smaller pieces of steak allow for more flavorful coating on the outside
- White mushrooms may be used, but we prefer baby Bella mushroom slices for a heartier, deeper flavor.
- Have all ingredients chopped, sliced and sitting by the stove when you begin this recipe as it will move quickly at some points
- I like to use a Keurig coffee maker to heat water and stir Better than Bouillon into the hot water to make my broth.
- Have a wooden spoon handy and be prepared to stir the skillet often.
How to Make Beef Tips with Gravy
Cut sirloin steak or other lean cut of beef into 3/4″ inch cubes.
Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray and turn to medium-high heat. Brown beef tips on all sides. Turn often until all sides are brown.
Set aside on a clean plate and cover.
Add butter to the skillet and saute shallots and sliced mushrooms over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another minute.
Add soy sauce to the skillet and then sprinkle flour over the mushrooms. Stir to coat.
Season with salt and pepper. Add a few sprigs of thyme to the pan if desired.
Stir often. Add a little bit of broth. Then stirring constantly continue to add broth slowly. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened which takes about 2 minutes.
Once gravy has thickened add steak bites back to the skillet. Stir into gravy and cook until warmed through.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
More Easy & Delicious Beef Recipes:
Bacon Cheeseburger Sliders take a classic American meal and add a sweet glaze to the slider rolls.
Cube Steak with Gravy is covered generously with mushroom gravy and cooked until tender in the crock pot or oven.
Baked Mostaccioli is a classic casserole that is easy and delicious with sausage or ground beef.
Hearty Beef Stew is a super delicious classic meal my mom has made for years!
Steak Tips with Peppered Mushroom Gravy
- 1 pound Sirloin steak cut into 3/4" cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots finely chopped
- 8 ounces Baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Koshor salt
- Fresh Thyme sprigs
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Add steak and saute 5 minutes turning often to brown on all sides.
- Set beef aside and cover with foil.
- Melt butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and mushrooms; saute for 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute an additional minute.
- Add soy sauce to skillet, then sprinkle flour over mushroom mixture. Stir until mushrooms are coated.
- Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper. Add a few thyme sprigs if desired.
- Bring mixture to a boil and cook until thickened. Continue to stir constantly. Add beef to skillet and heat entire mixture.
- Discard thymy sprigs and serve warm with noodles or mashed potatoes.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.