Our Homemade Burger Sauce recipe has four simple ingredients and can be mixed up quickly at home to make hamburgers taste so much better!
This sweet and tangy condiment concoction is a better version of the popular Big Mac and other fast food burger sauces. Our homemade sauce elevates the cookout burger experience.
This post is sponsored by Woeber Mustard Company, a family-owned condiment manufacturer in Springfield, Ohio since 1905, but all opinions are my own.
Homemade Burger Sauce Recipe
Ketchup and Mayo are mixed together to make fancy sauce. We add mustard and relish to make the best homemade burger sauce. This deep golden yellow sauce adds so much flavor to every bite of hamburger.
Big summer holidays like Memorial Day, 4th of July Celebrations and Labor Day cookouts are the perfect time to deck your meal with delicious condiments or incorporate them into family favorite recipes.
This special sauce will make the sandwich assembly line at parties so much more efficient. Mix up a big batch and store and serve in a condiment squeeze bottle with a cap so everyone can make building the perfect burger so much faster.
The Best Burger Sauce
Plain yellow mustard can be used, but our favorite ingredient is Woeber’s Sweet and Spicy Mustard. We buy it at Walmart, Kroger or Meijer, but this mustard is also available at the Woeber’s Online Store or can be located at a store in your area.
Using premium ingredients like Woeber’s Sweet and Spicy Mustard and a premium Mayo with an additional flavor like the Smoky Bacon Mayo add the upscale flavors without all the extra work. The bacon mayo can be used in place of adding strips of bacon.
Sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks in an airtight container or self-sealing bag. We like storing extras in a mason jar so it doesn’t spill in the refrigerator.
A step above fancy sauce (ketchup and mayo), this homemade sauce reminds us a little of Big Mac special sauce with relish added.
To make a smooth sauce pickle juice may be used in place of relish. Your favorite type of pickles can also be chopped to mix into the sauce in place of prepared relish.
What is Burger sauce Made Of?
Mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise and relish are the blended together to make homemade burger sauce.
Is the sauce messy?
The sauce is not messy. I just added enough for it to drip down the sides in the picture so that you would know there is sauce on the burger.
How much sauce per person?
Our family enjoys two to three tablespoons of sauce per large burger and one tablespoon of sauce on our Cheeseburger Sliders.
Measure ingredients into a small mixing bowl and stir together well.
Use a teaspoon to taste a sample. Mix in a teaspoon to a tablespoon of any flavors that you would like to highlight more.
Stir well, scraping the sides of the bowl. Continue stirring until sauce is a uniform color and no streaks or swirls are noticeable.
Tips & Tricks
- A more basic mustard works best in this sauce, our favorite is Woebers Sweet and Spicy, a plain yellow mustard also works fine
- Dijon mustard is better served alone with Italian sausage than mixed into this burger sauce recipe
- We use a prepared sweet relish for simplicity, but pickles can be seeded and finely chopped or pickle juice can be used
- To make a great fry dipping sauce just eliminate the relish from this recipe
- We often make a big batch of this recipe for a party which is 1 cup of Sweet & Spicy mustard, 1/2 cup mayo, 3/4 cup ketchup and 1/2 cup relish
- Homemade burger sauce can be mixed up 1 – 3 days ahead of using and kept in the refrigerator in a sealed container
- We prefer a nice bun like a Hawaiian Roll Bun or a Brioche Bun
- For a spicy sauce use spicy mustard
Other Delicious Variations of Burger Sauce
We have also tested and enjoyed Cool Dill Mayo, Ketchup and Mustard. The Cool Dill Mayo gives a hint of pickle flavor and replaces the relish or pickle juice found in many burger sauce recipes.
The Bacon Mayo, Ketchup and Mustard also taste great without relish.
Half of the fun of this recipe is how simple it is to try variations and make adjustments to please your own palate.
Delicious Side Dish Recipes for a Cookout
Linguine Salad is seasoned pasta accented with fresh veggies to make a refreshing side dish any time of the year.
Farmhouse Potato Salad is a family favorite recipe that is simple and delicious!
Cheesy Potatoes for a Crowd are made in a roaster and are very popular for graduation parties and family reunions!
Orange Jello Salad is classic recipe that is cool and refreshing!
Homemade Burger Sauce
- 1/4 cup mustard we like Woeber's Sweet & Spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise we like Woeber's Bacon Mayo
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons relish we like sweet relish
- Measure all ingredients into a small mixing bowl. Use a mini spatula to scrape measuring cups and spoons.
- Stir ingredients together very well.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.